Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This concerns my neighbor who called me this morning with something I haven't heard of, but thought someone here might know why this occurred. She had a 'bout of very watery "D" this morning, & said she not only saw some bright red blood, but had passed a very visible blood clot. She also does have hemorroids so the bright blood could have been related to the 'roids. But a blood "clot"??? I have 'roids myself but have never experienced passing a clot. Does anyone have a clue on this?Let me give a bit of background here so you can better understand this, & why she concerns me so. Back in March I began discussing my IBS-D with her because I had a friend from my polio support group coming to visit in April (he also suffers from severe IBS-D.) Tho I don't generally discuss my bowel functions with my neighbors, she had become somewhat of a friend & I needed some assistance while my polio pal was visiting & I have only ONE bathroom in my apartment. Wouldn't work too well with two IBS'ers, especially since his is so severe. She graciously opened her door to us re the bathroom dilemma. She asked me a lot of questions about IBS, & then began telling me how she's had symptoms just like this for a very long time. She had attributed it to our northeastern water & had never heard of IBS. Please bear with me, as I know this is lengthy, but I somehow feel it's all related. As the summer months approached, I noticed when she wore something sleeveless she had this rather large lump in the shoulder area but had said nothing until I noticed it was appearing to get larger (& believe me I mean "large" like the diameter, or slightly more, of a baseball. When I questioned it, she got all nervous & told me she also had two others, one in the groin, & one in her abdomen. I saw/felt them all, & tho the groin/abdomen ones weren't as protruding or large as the shoulder, it still flipped me out. The one in her abdomen is on her left side, slightly below the navel, approximately the diameter of a golf ball... ring any bells?I asked her if she'd had them checked out by her doctor at which time she shocked me completely by telling me she hadn't even been to a GYN in over ten years, let alone any other doctor other than for cold symptoms from time to time. I couldn't help but go into a tailspin over this info & strongly urged her to make an appointment immediately. Tho it took some doing, she finally made an appointment in late July & her doctor was extremely concerned about the abdomenal lump & wanted testing done on this one especially. She failed to mention her D problems & put off the testing twice, once for lack of transportation which I offered to her just so she'd get this done. She still hasn't gone for the tests, claiming now that she has "no coverage" since starting a new job. Personally, I think she's terrified but refusing to face this. She flippantly said that her pap & mammogram came out fine, so at least she's good there.. & brushed it all off. I can't help but feel concern as is my nature & this whole thing just baffles me. I'm still urging her to have this all taken care of asap, but if anyone can provide info that may help me in this, I would certainly appreciate it. I realize you can "lead a horse to water, but ya can't make him drink" but everytime something serious like this happens, she phones me or comes by. I would just like to have as much info on all this as I can to relay to her. I thank you for any input you can give me.. ------------------Loving, caring, healing thoughts...mazzy"We help others, not by interfering with their lives nor by imposing our ideas on them, but always by acting in a spirit of sympathy & self-identification with them in their troubles & joys."

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Mazzy, she needs to go to a doctor ASAP!

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Mazzy - goodness me. I hope your friend does something about this - soon! Never heard of such a thing. Sounds scarey though.As for the blood clot, Randy said he passed some when he was having his trouble. Since then, he's had a colonoscopy and all was well. So, perhaps clots aren't necessarily serious. Still, with everything else thats been going on, cause for concern I would think...Let us know if you're friend gets this all taken care of.

G

·
Mazzy,Sorry, I can't help either, but would like you to keep us updated......My thoughts and prayers will be with her........------------------LET'S ALL PRAY FOR A CURE TO THIS IBS SOON!BETTIE

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
get her to a doctor. County clinic if need be, but MAKE her get tested. The blood MAY be roids, may be diverticular disease, or may be cancer. DO NOT LET HER PUT IT OFF!!!------------------Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts