Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been IBS-D for a year, and starting Monday I starting having blood (bright red) in my stool. I can't get to a doc til Feb 25. Is this something that can wait, or should I go to the ER? I had a lot of cramping pain on Monday, but none since. Please help me.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Small amounts of bright red blood is most often from anal irritation or hemaroids. This isn't usually something that needs immediate attention.However if you start feeling poorly or weak or the amount is more than just a few drops then you may want to go to the ER, or call the doctors office and talk to the nurse, Usually most offices have emergancy appointments but the receptionist isn't the one that gives them out. Usually one of the nurses is the one who gives them out and should be able to help you figure out how much of a "see someone NOW" sort of thing this is.K.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've had this happen too. Usually it's from straining durring a bowel movement - but when I had diarrea all the time before changing my diet I would have blood on the toilet paper every time I went... I think from continual anal irritation. It shouldn't be anything to worry about unless you have a fever or other flu like symptoms or extreme pain that doesn't seem to be from your IBS. Of course, if you're worried, get medical advice about it. I went to the local urgent care doctor the first time I had blood in my stool instead of just on the toilet paper. It freaked me out big time, but turned out to be nothing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much! I'm just scared because it's never happened before. Since there's no pain, bloating or anything else I think it can wait. But thanks for the reassurence, I really need it. :love:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah this happened to me one too and freaked me right out, but my doc explained, that since it was such a small amount and that is was bright red, I probably didn't have much to worry about.Still freaks you out though
Kinda like drinking blue powerade and it turning greenish.. Ack!..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts