Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I have noticed blood in my stool and i am worried that it is something more serious than IBS. I have had IBS for 4 years and I havent really noticed this before. Has anyone heard of this as a symptom? What should i do?

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
You should call your GI doc and go in for an appointment. It doesn't have to mean much (e.g., could be internal hemmies or an infection). Was it bright red (fresh), or really dark? The doc may want to give you a colonoscopy to be sure. Keep us up-to-date![This message has been edited by HipJan (edited 05-16-2001).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To ease your worry, I recently mentioned to my GI doc that I had blood in the stools and he said that could mean alot of things. So just know that it is not indicative of something serious. I was having this during an IBS related month-long illness and he assured me that in my case it was just the ibs. Now that the illness has passed and I've returned to my normal IBS-C, there's no blood. Be sure to note the quantity and color of the blood when you talk to your doctor.------------------TH

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Bleeding usually isn't a symptom of IBS directly, but IBS often bothers things that do bleed. Hemaroids often bleed when IBS acts up as either diarrhea or hard, hard to pass stools can irritate them.It's worth getting it checked out by the doctor as most of the time it's nothing serious and the IBS is just irritating it, but it could be something serious (although that is much rarer that it is) and generally you don't want to delay treatment for serious things.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
732 Posts
tonnes.Was it bright red blood?? Probably roids, but call the doctor. The gave me some cortisone suppositories to use when it happens. Now if you stools are dark maroon or black this could be mid or upper GI bleeding which is more serious.Best thing is to call the doctor. First time it will sorta scare you.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Tones-Do you know if you have roids? The DR told me (didnt really need to though) that I have a giant one on the right side. It bothers me a couple of times a year,got especially bad when I was pregnant(14 yrs ago) and when it does I will notice bright red blood on the tp after I go. Usually I am very C when this happens but not always. Today I had the problem. I have a sebeceaus cyst (blocked oil gland )on my bum and have been putting very warm compresses on the area for several days to try and get it to go down. (I tend to get these blocked glands and 2 summers ago had one that abscessed under my breast-NEVER SQUEEZE THEM.) Today it IS down but heat causes blood vessels to dilate(expand), roids are varicose veins, so I just cured one problem and bothered another. Anyway do call your DR if it continues and you are concerned if only to put your mind at ease.------------------Nancy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts