Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having blood in my stool for the last 2 years. I've been scoped several times - negative. Endoscopys showed mild gastritis. Pill capsule endoscopy three weeks ago was essentially negative, though they saw some mucosa problem in small intestine. I have no Crohns or UC. I do have bacterial overgrowth of small intestine with extreme fatigue, hypoglycemia, flu-like symptoms etc..You all should know me by now.I'm worried because I've been told the blood was from hemmroids, but I don't know. It's always bright red and lined through the bowel movement. No diarrhea, sometimes mild constipation. I've been on SCD for 4 weeks and have been having it again the last few days. They say that the blood would be black stool if it were from farther up. I don't trust them. Just had some now. I should probably go get scoped again. I'd love to hear from those of you that have this problem and if they are right about the red blood vs. black stool.Thanks,Chris

·
Registered
14,050 Posts
Chris, After all the thorough diagnostics your Docs have done, if it were me, I'd relax. Yes, black tar-like stools could indicate things more sinister. However, bright red is usually just hemmies.Hope you feel better soon!BQ

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
always listen to BQ - she is a wise woman
seriously, she is right. I also often have bright red blood and it's streaked on the BMs. I've been checked out before and know it's from a tear/fissure (not even a hemmies). It's good that you got it checked out thoroughly but usually if it's bright red, you do't need to worry. that means it's from the hemmie or tear near the end. dark stools, i.e. blood IN the stool not ON the stool, is the big concern.nancy

·
Registered
201 Posts
I too get the lovely red streak that scares the pants off me. I've also been told by numerous MD's that it's okay when it's bright red, just means a tear or "hemmies", but if it's black-that's the time to worry. I always worry too when I see it as I had an aunt who died in her mid 30's from years battling Crohns and finally dying of Colon Cancer. So I'm paranoid now. But I've been scoped and poked and been told I'm okay-just plain IBS. Hope you feel less stressed about it.Sharon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.