Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on the "Women's Issues" forum on 11/05 and didn't get any response. But anyway I will spare you all the details, I would just like to know if anyone has had blood show up in a urine sample before. I very concerned and I've been reading way too much on the internet about it. I am going back to the doctor on Monday for more test.Thanks,Jackie

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hi There! Usually blood in the urine is a sign of a urinary tract infection (UTI), bladder infection or kidney infection. I've had blood in my urine when I've had a UTI. Do you have any other symptoms like burning when you pee, or back pain (usually a sign of kidney infection), having the urge to pee all the time only to have nothing come out, constant pressure down there? A simple urine test will determine if you havea UTI or bladder infection. I can't remember if they can tell if you have a kidney infection just by your urine.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I just read your post in Women's issues and I wanted to add something else. You mention you have your period and can't give another urine sample. Perhaps when you gave the first urine sample you were at the beginning stages of your period and that's why there is blood. Also, I've had a few UTI's that went away after being treated but then came back with a vengenge within a few weeks.The Internet can scare the bejezus out of you. My doctor told me to stop reading stuff I found on it. When I was first diagnosed with Proctitis (ulcerative colitis), I read something on the Net that it was a gay man's disease, which is clearly wrong, but nonetheless I freaked out b/c I am woman. Goes to show you that you can't trust everything you read on the Net even if it does come from a so called medical website.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Trixy,I think I'll take a break from the internet for a while. I have Bladder Cancer on my brain 24/7 now. I do spot from time to time in between my periods, can they tell where it's coming from? I am taking this serious, just because a lot of times women have had blood in the urine for years, and were told is was nothing, to find out later it was really something. I guess women are so used to seeing blood down there it doesn't raise a red flag as it does in men. Jackie

·
Registered
230 Posts
You are welcome Jackie. I don't think they can tell where the blood is coming from. I bet you really never got over your UTI and it's back again. It's hard not to think of the worst, but you have too. I'd call your doctor first thing monday morning and tell them you think you have another UTI (this way they get you in right then and there) and they can put your mind at ease. Saying a little prayer fory you!Trix

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had blood in my urine right before all my IBS symptoms started. Scared the dickens out of me because it was bright red!I would recommend you go to a urologist and have a cystography done. It is where they put a catheter like instrument up your urethra and look directly into your bladder. It sounds scary, but trust me, it didn't hurt a bit! It's also fascinating because you watch it on a TV screen.The urologist can tell you right there and then if you have bladder cancer, so it will ease your mind. I thought the worst too. Turns out I had both a UTI AND a kidney stone.Now, lucky me, I have IBS symptoms now. Of course I am worrying too about stomach cancer. We all worry about the worst.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts