Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the allergist yesterday for some sinus problems and while I was there I inquired about the possibility that some food allergies may be contributing to my IBS. They suggested that I have a blood test for food allergies rather than scratch tests (they don't do the scratch tests there because they don't like to run the risk of people having severe reactions to the scratch tests). I decided not to have the blood test, primarily because my insurance company won't pay for it and I wanted to make sure it would be worthwhile. My insurance will pay for the scratch tests if I can find somewhere to do it. BTW, I was at a major research university hospital.So here're my questions: Are the blood tests reliable? Are the scratch tests reliable? How risky is it to have the scratch tests especially on foods I eat regularly? Has anyone had either the blood or scratch tests and learned anything useful? Thanks all...

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have had a scratch test for welts (I have urticaria) Any way the skin test was about 20 pokes, but the funny thing is since I have urticaria and can draw on my skin, all 20 swelled up - so the girl just wrote down the worse ones (I thought it was a joke). That was for allergies - pollen etc. Anyway, I have just inquired about a blood test also the other day it's called a RAST test. But from what I read and from my doctor, they are not reliable. One month it will show your allergic to milk another month something different. My doctor said the best way, and I agree - is what I am doing now - is to have a food/problems diary. Write everything down and how you feel. It takes a few hours to show up if you have a reaction. I have IBS, urticaria and just found out I am positive for rheumatiod arthrities. Which food allergies can make all 3 worse. I have found so far I react to chocolate - too much coke (alittle is ok) carmel (I am thinking so far it could be something about sugar - corn syrup) If that is what it looks like - I will try to eat all fresh food as best I can - sugar/corn is in EVERYTHING! I think our bodies are suppose to eat fresh anyway. But the diary might be faster - less expensive - results you can trust because you'll know if you react. Good Luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did the blood test and got back a list offour things I reacted highly to: peanuts,honey, seafood, corn. And a list of lesserthings, many things. I've been staying away from the four things, and I might feel a bitbetter because of it; I can't tell.Weird thing is, I react to fruits and tomatosauce, and those didn't show up on the test.So who knows.Terio--I did the food diary also. How are youable to tell what you react to, when you eat so many things each day, and the reacioncould take a while to happen?I have found the whole food allergy thingreally frustrating, and ultimately, somewhatuseless. I know stuff like coffee, beer, pizza cause definite, automatic reactions,but aside from that...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HI,I have had the scratch test as I have IBS, Sinus, and migraine problems. Am not so sure that the test were that accurate as one day I can eat chocolate OK and the next time it will trigger a stomach or head ache. My Chiropractor told me the best way to test myself for foods is Eat one single thing and the wait a minute or two. Then test your paulse, if it is faster than normal than you are allergice to that food. Of course it is best to test when you paulse rate is normal and then not do any activities that would speed it up. The best time would be in AM when you first get up. Try one thing at a time. There again one time milk will make a difference and next time not. many people are allergice to corn as it is in most processed foods. That is one I know I am allergic to that and MAYBE choc., milk and caffine. Alcohol Never did agree with me. Thing is I wasn't tested for a lot of food like acidity ones which I think may be a problem for me. Best thing to do is to pay attention to your body and it's reactions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts