Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing sooo well now for a while, I never thought I'd be asking this question. Yesterday I had a nasty bout of D, first one in quite a while. I forgot to take my Questran dose and I had something rich for lunch, and that did it. Anyway, I had the D about 2 p.m. and around 3:30 or so went back to the pot and expelled a nasty batch of bloody mucous. The blood was bright red. I do not have hemorroids (sp?) but I do have diverticulosis. This is the first time this has happened and it scared the daylights out of me.Called the doctor and she said to not panic, that if it was a problem with the diverticulosis that I'd have terrific pain and fever with this. She said this could have just been some irritation as a result of the D. Recommended I hold on and see what happens with the next bowel movement. I didn't have a bm this morning, the first morning in ages I haven't. That figures, it's the first time in months I've prayed to be on the pot in the morning so I could see what's happening. Anyone ever experience this, and what should I think about it? Thanks for your help, as always.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
HereIam, I don't have diver, but some others here do and hopefully they can help.I am glad you are working with your doc on it though.I hope things get better soon.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
HereIam, I don't have diver, but some others here do and hopefully they can help.I am glad you are working with your doc on it though.I hope things get better soon.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Would you be willing to ask your doc if she would let you try a few of the ginger root caps and see what happens. They are used during pregnancy so they are not toxic. I had ibs for 15 yrs. with horrible constipation, gas, pain and bloating. I was beginning to get mucus in my stools, etc. Since I've been on the ginger root caps, I've had almost zero gas, no pain or bloating. I take molasses for constipation. I would not be working now if it were not for this ginger. Anyway, it is worth a try if she agrees. Good luck! :love:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Would you be willing to ask your doc if she would let you try a few of the ginger root caps and see what happens. They are used during pregnancy so they are not toxic. I had ibs for 15 yrs. with horrible constipation, gas, pain and bloating. I was beginning to get mucus in my stools, etc. Since I've been on the ginger root caps, I've had almost zero gas, no pain or bloating. I take molasses for constipation. I would not be working now if it were not for this ginger. Anyway, it is worth a try if she agrees. Good luck! :love:

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Eric, thanks for your support!! Am waiting to hear from others w/divert. who may enlighten me. Admflo--I can't imagine how giner root is going to do anything for my diverticular disease but appreciate your thoughts.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eric, thanks for your support!! Am waiting to hear from others w/divert. who may enlighten me. Admflo--I can't imagine how giner root is going to do anything for my diverticular disease but appreciate your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
From my experience with bloody mucous, that is not a good sign. Now you will have to look at your BMs all the time to see if you have blood. I would ask your Dr for that simple stool smear test to check for unseen blood in your stool. I forget the name of the test but you get 2 or 3 little slide like cards to smear your stool onto and you have to follow a little bit of a diet while you are doing this. Passing just bloody mucous like that means that something is really sore in there and just because you don't have pain and fever, it doesn't meant that something isn't stuck in your diverticuli. The pain and fever come when the thing that is stuck gets infected and that takes awhile.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
From my experience with bloody mucous, that is not a good sign. Now you will have to look at your BMs all the time to see if you have blood. I would ask your Dr for that simple stool smear test to check for unseen blood in your stool. I forget the name of the test but you get 2 or 3 little slide like cards to smear your stool onto and you have to follow a little bit of a diet while you are doing this. Passing just bloody mucous like that means that something is really sore in there and just because you don't have pain and fever, it doesn't meant that something isn't stuck in your diverticuli. The pain and fever come when the thing that is stuck gets infected and that takes awhile.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I have diverticulosis and have had numerous diverticlar attacks, but have never had bloody mucous, that is not to say that diverticulosis cannot cause bleeding, because it can. I work with a woman who had a severe bleed out, which landed her in the emergency room. After much testing, it was determined she had divericulitis (an infection of the diverticular sacs) It seems one or more of the diverticular sacs burst, which is what caused the bleeding. However, if you are not in severe pain, I tend to think it is not the diverticulosis causing your problem. It could just be related to the D attack. I think your doctor is right, don't panic, but pay particular attention to your stools over the next few days. If you see any more blood or mucous, call the doctor again.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I have diverticulosis and have had numerous diverticlar attacks, but have never had bloody mucous, that is not to say that diverticulosis cannot cause bleeding, because it can. I work with a woman who had a severe bleed out, which landed her in the emergency room. After much testing, it was determined she had divericulitis (an infection of the diverticular sacs) It seems one or more of the diverticular sacs burst, which is what caused the bleeding. However, if you are not in severe pain, I tend to think it is not the diverticulosis causing your problem. It could just be related to the D attack. I think your doctor is right, don't panic, but pay particular attention to your stools over the next few days. If you see any more blood or mucous, call the doctor again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.