Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
What do you mean you are constipated when you go 12 times a day.1) The stool is hard and dry.2) You strain a lot even if you have loose stools3) The stools are kinda normal in consistency but still smaller than usual4) Even after you go you feel like you need to go more or still have bloating or pain.5) Some other symptom.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you are responding to a feeling that you need to go to the bathroom and then can not go when you get there, that sounds more like constipation. If that is the case, I can tell you something that I tried yesterday that really got things moving: I ate about a cup of saurkraut...not the canned variety, but the refrigerated variety.I had read that it was effective for getting the colon moving and 24 hours after the fact, it certainly did in my case. Be aware, however, that the result was a watery diarrhea...no cramps or pain, but diarrhea just the same.Overall, my IBS has improved immensely. When my colon begins to feel as though it is slowing down, however, I plan to try the saurkraut again...just a bit less than the cup I ate yesterday.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now it's only about 6 times but they are small stools and I strain a lot when I am on the toilet and most times I can't get a BM at all

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If you are mostly straining a lot for every BM (even when the consistency should be easy to pass) then I would look into getting your pelvic floor tested.Several small BM's a day is common with IBS when people have rectal hypersensitivity as the rectum gives the "gotta go" when any stool gets there rather than waiting until it is full.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you are mostly straining a lot for every BM (even when the consistency should be easy to pass) then I would look into getting your pelvic floor tested.Several small BM's a day is common with IBS when people have rectal hypersensitivity as the rectum gives the "gotta go" when any stool gets there rather than waiting until it is full.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Boy, I don't know if what I tell you will help, but here goes: I too have IBS, going from diarreha to constipation within a day or two. Diarreha I can stop w/Lonox pills, but constipation is something else. I go a little, and then it seems like I have a small ball, or something stuck. What I do I wash my hands very good, put ointment on my index finger and bear down a little (not strainning) and put my finger in and grab the stool piece. It comes out easy and then most times more stool comes out by its own. I DO NOT DO THIS ALL THE TIME. ONLY WHEN AFTER A FEW HOURS OF FEELING SOMETHING STUCK ALMOST OUT! I am very careful when I do this, and afterwards disinfect my hands. Believe it or not, I feel much better after this. My contention is, people do take enamas, etc. so even though this sound "unusal" it works for me. It's amazing how little small pieces get stuck and don't come out! It's a horrible feeling to go thru the day as if something is stuck in you right at the opening! Take it for what it's worth.....but it does help me. Again, be careful! Good luck!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Peacebwu,I've done something like that with the finger too..I will take a piece of toilet paper, wrap it around my index finger, lube it up and go in there while kinda pushing out at the same time. Sometimes if there's loose stool behind the hard stool that was stuck it gets kinda messy and I end up making a mess all over my butt, up my arm and all over the toilet. One time I had to use this technique at the grocery store and made such a mess just as another customer was coming in. He smelled the mess I had made and heard me grunting in my stall trying to finish my bowel movement and started initiating conversation with me and I told him I knew it would seem weird to him, but I was constipated and having diarrhea at the same time. He said he had been constipated before so he knew how I felt. He then told me he would be right back. Apparently he went out into the store, got a Fleet enema and then came back to the restroom and waited with me while I gave myself the enema and until it worked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts