Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw on my gas producing food list to evoid the day before the B.test:Soft drink,onion,etc...
I have drink Gatorade!
I also call Iowa U.,look like even my food list is inaccurate in Quebec.
I will order their home kit test i'm so pissed off.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Yes Gatorade is not allowed as half of their products have HFCS. Yes just chicken and rice is allowed as far as I remember. I think IOwa also allows white bread. Do you have the test tomorrow and will you cancel?. Just call them and reschedule it. Otherwise the kit for each breath test costs $350 as I recall from what you said. It will be more expensive if you order 4-5 kits from Iowa.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well:100$ of hotel +50 of fuel+one day of work lost on the road,it's close to 300$(canadian money).Also,if their diet is not accurate,why their test would be?
What a bunch of looser!

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks.Well i guess it depend on which test is available in home kit.I know they can sell fructose kit but for the other,i don't know.I think i will call the leader at Cedars.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Geez,i wish they were less expensive.
Anyway,
for the home kit.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Apparently,the Pimentel office didn't carry home kit.I just called them.I'm speechless.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The girl mentions about a possible gas leak during the delivery of the home kit.She is involved in a c. trial so i don't know of what she was refering to_Oh the hell,maybe the home kit is not so accurate.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Actually I am surprised that Iowa carries the home kit. Didn't expect a big hospital to let you do the test at home. I guess it makes money for them so they do it. Be sure to close the bag properly ater you are done blowing into it. Actually with a home kit I wonder how tight the seal on the bags are,i.e how accurate it is. I would be afraid of the air blown into it to leak out by the time it reaches them. I would feel more comfortable in the office.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will ask about the accuracy of the home kit.I love Dr.Rao!
Since i'm in the east time,i posted one hour before you.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
If I may join in this private gathering, I have a brochure in front of me entitled Patient Instructions for Hydrogen Breath Tests. "Avoid eating slowly digestible vegetables (ie beans), bran or high-fibre cereals the day before the test is performed.Fast for 10 hours prior to the test (only water to drink).The test should not be performed within 2 weeks of antibiotic therapy."When I do it, I think I'll stick to chicken and rice, as bonniei said. If that much money is going to be spent, you don't want to take any chances.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Yes I would certainly recommend plain broiled or baked chicken. Salt is ok! That is amazing that they are giving such bad instructions. Let me see if I can find a web source for this. I bet that there is a U of I site for this.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Preparation is vital to the success of the tests. Indiscretions can result in either a false positive or false negative test.� Do not smoke or perform physical exercise two hours before testing to avoid hyperventilation.� Rinse mouth with antibacterial mouthwash before testing to prevent premature hydrogen or carbon dioxide production.� Eat/drink only the following foods 24 hours before testing:eek: White bread (limit to 6)o White potatoo White riceo Chicken breasto Turkey breasto Teao Waterhttp://www.uihc.uiowa.edu/FRUCTOSE/Symptoms.htm

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's what's the Iowa U. nurse was refering me on the phone.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.