Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well not sure how to get these stomach noises to quit they make noise after i eat and when i dont eat is this normal for the stomach and the bowells to make sooo much noise enuff to have people here you from across the room is this normal in ibs is this what they call a over active digistive track?

·
Registered
10,337 Posts
quote:is this normal in ibs is this what they call a over active digistive
The noise levels in IBS apppear to be the same as in normal people. (Overactivity of the digestive system shouldn't make it any louder anyway.)

·
Registered
205 Posts
quote:Originally posted by flux:The noise levels in IBS apppear to be the same as in normal people. (Overactivity of the digestive system shouldn't make it any louder anyway.)
I don't know where this information comes from but I can say without a doubt that in my case I have very loud intestinal noises. And that the onset of these noises coincided with all my other IBS symptoms. I also know it is not my imagination when people near me at a play or classical concert start turning around and staring at me because they are annoyed at the bizarre sounds coming from my direction. I have stopped going to these types of events for that reason. For me its also really bad at night when I'm trying to sleep. I have to wear earplugs.I don't know what causes it. It seems like gas since I can sort of follow the sounds as they go through my colon and I notice they eventually calm down after I pass the gas. Sometimes it seems like some kind of liquid gurgling in there though so I don't know for sure. I tried simethicone and it didn't help - don't know what else to do. It's one of several IBS symptoms that is making me avoid social contact especially any kind of romantic relationship. It's just totally embarrassing and is just another indignity that (some) IBSers suffer from (in my experience and from those I've read on the board). I don't know what the medical research on this is - I know my doctors don't seem to care about it at all and they certainly don't offer any suggestions.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After years of studying stomach noises, ground-breaking research has proven that your digestive system has a language all its own! Long, low rumbles that occur during midmorning, for example, have been translated as: "Pardon us, but we've been reassessing this breakfast thing. And, well . . . speaking for the entire group, we're willing to compromise. If you'll make sure we're fed sometime before, oh, let's say, 9:30 a.m., we'll promise to keep quiet during your important staff meetings. If not, we'll be forced to take matters into our own intestines." Kidding aside, doctors do have a word for stomach noises. It's called borborygmi, basically the sounds that come from your digestive system as food, air and gas move through. To get an idea what's happening down there after a meal, think of the motion of a slithering snake. Bathed in stomach acid, your food is squeezed slightly forward and slightly back through your digestive tract, helping break the meal down and absorb nutrients, and sometimes creating noise. Within four to six hours, most of the food is emptied from the stomach, says Jorge Herrera, M.D., assistant professor of medicine at the University of South Alabama College of Medicine in Mobile and member of the American Gastroenterological Association and the American College of Gastroenterology. Whether you've eaten or not, however, every one to two hours, there's a rush of digestive juices sweeping through the digestive tract to clear out anything that remains behind, says Dr. Herrera. This can also cause gurgling sounds, he says. An upset stomach and irritable bowel syndrome can also cause stomach noises.

·
Registered
10,337 Posts
quote: After years of studying stomach noises, ground-breaking research has proven that your digestive system has a language all its own!
No such research has taken place.
quote:"Pardon us, but we've been reassessing this breakfast thing. And, well . . . speaking for the entire group, we're willing to compromise. If you'll make sure we're fed sometime before, oh, let's say, 9:30 a.m., we'll promise to keep quiet during your important staff meetings. If not, we'll be forced to take matters into our own intestines."
Totally fabricated.
quote:Within four to six hours, most of the food is emptied from the stomach,
Make that 1.5 to 3 hours.
quote:Whether you've eaten or not, however, every one to two hours, there's a rush of digestive juices
Actually, very little digestive juices are involved.
quote:An upset stomach and irritable bowel syndrome can also cause stomach noises.
Don't know what an "upset" stomach is. For IBS, the little data there is suggests the noises are the same to our ears.
quote:Sip some warm 7-Up. Warm 7-Up or ginger ale may be just what the doctor ordered for a gurgling stomachâ€"if the gurgles are caused by gas or air, says Thomas A. Gossel, R.Ph., Ph.D., professor of pharmacology and toxicology and associate dean of the College of Pharmacy at Ohio Northern University in Ada. Putting soda bubbles in your belly may help encourage gas trapped in your stomach to come up as a belch, says Dr. Gossel.
Sodas contain gas, so all this could do is send that gas back up. Or it might not, and just add more gas. Plus, there may not have been any gas there to start, so why add some?
quote:Sneak a snack. You probably don't have time for a meal, but sneaking a snack should silence your stomach. "If you're in a hurry, you could eat a cracker or a piece of bread. That could stop the noises from happening," says Dr. Gossel.
I suspect it would increase the noise because it might trigger a gastrocolic response. If it didn't, then it probably wouldn't have any effect.
quote:Don't gulp. Ever tried to take a deep breath to stop your stomach from gurgling?
Gulp of what? I don't get it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My stomach used to be totally silent even with my ibs (never heard any stomach noises, even if I was hungry my stomach was completely silent). I had ibs for about 3 years with no noise and suddenly after I had appendicitus and had to get my appendix out they start to happen (ibs symptoms staying pretty much the same). Now, I hear noises sometimes after food, afer roughly 3 hours after food (maybe hunger noises), and when I'm laying down (especially at night). It gets me thinking that its unrelated to my ibs especially when there was confusion that maybe I had 'golden staph' or superbug, something that was resistant to the antibiodics (im not very clear about this because at the time I felt fine so didn't make a big deal out of it) that I hope to clear up with my doctor this week.

·
Registered
23,788 Posts
FYI "Borborygmus (plural borborygmi) is the rumbling sound made by gas and fluids moving through the intestines. The word was originally coined by the Ancient Greeks in an attempt to imitate the sounds their bellies made when they were hungry (making words that sound like what they describe is called onomatopoeia, of which borborygmus is an example). The reason we experience borborygmi when we are hungry is that our bodies respond to the desire for food by a reflex (like a doctor hitting your knee with a hammer) which prepares the stomach for food by moving the stuff in the intestines out of the way, i.e. down to the rectum. This increased activity in the intestines causes small pockets of water and gas to be squeezed through the intestines, making bubbling and gurgling noises as it goes. Some people experience borborygmus after meals, since the same reflex is for digestion." www.madsci.org/posts/arch....An.r.html "Case StudySarah, a 21 year old student, who was diagnosed with IBS, tell the story of her struggle with the condition. The wrong lesson I taught myself in the lecture room It was almost 11 o'clock on a Monday morning of March 1994. I was on my way to a Research Methods lecture, totally unaware that my first encounter with IBS lay shortly ahead.Probably the only clue was this odd feeling in my stomach; it was this hollow kind of nausea & a really strange, uncomfortable sensation that I had never experienced before. It made me feel uneasy. Thinking that it would pass, I decided that I would go ahead and sit through the lecture. But within a few minutes, I was left wishing I had never entered the room.Shortly after the lecture began, my stomach started making strange, loud noises. Wind was pioneering up and down my stomach like a rollercoaster, but far more critically for me, people could actually hear it doing so. http://www.surgerydoor.co.uk/livingwith/de...l2=Case%20Study

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.