Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe that a certain amount of stomach "rumbling", etc is probably normal after a meal, but for the last week or so I have had what I would consider to be moderate borborygmus after every single meal I eat. Sometimes it only lasts an hour or so, but several times I have woken up in the morning with it. Is amount normal? I don't really remember having this occur before when I had the SIBO, at least not to the extent that it's happening now. Also, I just had a doctor visit a week ago and I was feeling better and, of course, the day following my appointment my D/ abnormal stool/ incomplete evacuation started right back up again. I was hoping the Align kicked down the bacteria to a more tolerable level, but now I'm not so sure...

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The colon makes more noise when it is more active.The colon is more active after meals and around the time you get up in the morning.Other than it is annoying it isn't a symptom that really is a sign of anything other than you colon is making noise.Every person's colon makes some noise all the time (just like your heart makes noise every single time it beats even if you usually don't hear it). When it is more active the noise is louder. Sometimes the harder we listen for the noises the more we notice them and stressing about it may make them a bit louder if it upsets how your body responds to normal and natural stimuli.Also stress is funny thing. A lot of people have more problems with stress reactions only AFTER the whatever it is has passed. It isn't like an on off switch so the timing is not always immediate and goes away the moment the stress is gone.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I know the colon is typically more active after a meal. I'm not sure this is actually in my colon. It feels higher up in my GI tract (stomach or possibly small intestine), although there is also some colon "activity". It's probably nothing (I guess), but I wasn't really sure what amount of stomach rumbling is considered "normal" after eating...

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I don't know of any threshold where noise becomes abnormal in any sort of disease way. Because a loud intestine isn't a disease state I don't think there is some if you can hear it from 10 feet away it is abnormal but 9 feet away it is normal kind of measurement done by anyone. The colon crosses just under the stomach, and above the small intestine. It isn't that the colon is only in the bottom half of the abdomen do unless the noise sounds are more in your chest than in your abdomen they can be colon (and the other parts of the GI tract also make some noise because I don't think you can slosh anything back and forth with zero noise.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah yes, of course. The transverse colon... I'd forgottten about that little gem.
I'm going to monitor this though because I am getting more noise than usual down there; the fact that I also now have flatulence (which usually never happens to me) is another flag. Hopefully those dratted Bs don't return in full force again... my next appointment isn't until July, so...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts