Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes advertisers get it all wrong. Here are some funny examples of advertising campaigns that ended up being entirely inappropriate! Coors put its slogan, "Turn it loose," into Spanish, where it was read as "Suffer from diarrhea". Clairol introduced the "Mist Stick", a curling iron, into German only to find out that "mist" is slang for manure. Not too many people had a use for the "manure stick". An American T-shirt maker in Miami printed shirts for the Spanish market which promoted the Pope's visit. Instead of "I saw the Pope" (el Papa), the shirts read "I saw the potato" (la papa). Pepsi's "Come alive with the Pepsi Generation" translated into "Pepsi brings your ancestors back from the grave", in Chinese. Frank Perdue's chicken slogan, "it takes a strong man to make a tender chicken" was translated into Spanish as "it takes an aroused man to make a chicken affectionate". The Coca-Cola name in China was first read as "Ke-kou-ke-la", meaning "Bite the wax tadpole" or "female horse stuffed with wax", depending on the dialect. Coke then researched 40,000 characters to find a phonetic equivalent "ko-kou-ko-le", translating into "happiness in the mouth". When Parker Pen marketed a ball-point pen in Mexico, its ads were supposed to have read, "it won't leak in your pocket and embarrass you". Instead, the company thought that the word "embarazar" (to impregnate) meant to embarrass, so the ad read: "It won't leak in your pocket and make you pregnant". OOPS!------------------"Humor is your own smile surprising you in the mirror." Missycat

G

·
Hey Missycat, those were so funny! I heard one more, but I don't know if it's true: When Chevy marketed the "Nova" in Spanish speaking countries, it translated to "No Go". I'm sure there was a big market for cars that don't go anywhere!Thanks for the laughs.

G

·
Missycat, these were so funny. Thanks for the humor!------------------LET'S ALL PRAY FOR A CURE TO THIS IBS SOON!BETTIE

G

·
ROFLOL!!!!!! I really need that Missycat thanks! My husband has asked me to print these so he can read them after he heard me cackling so loudly!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.