Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Isn't that where the bowel has less than the needed blood suppy?So what happens?Might that be a problem if it were to happen?How often does that kind of thing happen?Kamie

G

·
Bowel ischemia can happen with a bowel obstruction and that is a life threatening situation. I lived through it twice in March and both times I had a NG tube to rest the bowel and observe it. Doctors thought the obstruction might resolve itself especially after the first obstruction occurred. After 8 hours I was rushed to OR as my Doctors were very concerned about the blood circulation to the bowel. The second surgery resulted in a 18 inch bowel resection. Alas I am trying to overcome all the problems that resulted with these surgeries.Char

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Ischemic colitis (which I think is another name for what you are talking about--unless this is something completely different) is a fairly rare condtion.It gets more common as you age, so it is mostly seen in older people.I don't think you have to have an obstruction to have the reduced blood supply, I think it can happen without that.Some medications make it more likely that you will get this. Lotronex is one medication (which is why the whole pull until safet issues were addressed thing occured) but it is not alone. In the medical lit there was indications that Ibuprophen, HRT can be associated with it as well as illegal drugs like Cocaine.Bloody stools tends to be what gets noticed. Blood is from the tissue damage/death from the lack of blood flow.If enough tissue dies you can go into sepsis when the intestines perforate so this tends to be a medical emergancy situation.IC will sometimes reverse on it's own, but quite often surgery is needed.K.

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh, okay, I never knew what they called that. I had an impaction that required emergency surgery.I suppose that's what the surgeon was talking about when he came out and told Mr. Kamie that I was lucky that he did not have to resection because on problems he had seen as bad as mine he usually had to do the resection.I'm so sorry it was so rough on you.I can not even begin to imagine.It must have been absolutely horrid.No one, NO ONE should have to suffer with an obstruction or an impaction.I think my emergency was where the current problems with my heart might have been tilted over the edge.It's some mighty big intense body stress.My gut sounds had stopped and my urine function had stopped.It was really scary.My surgery was in April.So how are you doing now with your recovery?Briland, for me, I knew something was very verywrong when my stool was this huge dry rotting piece of some abominable fecal nightmare and there it was just stuck. I hurt worse than labor.And my labor was bad because I had back labor so it was intense.I keep a BP kit at the house because I've been on BP meds for years and my BP is prone to do strange things.So when I took my pulse and it was up over 100 I knew we had a problem.Anytime your Pulse either spikes over 100 or drops sharply below 60 it's time for quick medical care. I;m sure Char has other stuff she expereinced as an obstruction is diferent than an impaction but both are life threatening and both can lead to needing to have the bowel resectioned.Since Char had her surgery in March and I had mine in April, you can see that it takes a little time to recover.KamieP.S. there was no blood in my stools at all.Nothing.My bowels just stopped working and then a weekend came up and by Monday morning I was in crisis.Oh by the way, never never do an enema with abdominal pain and a high pulse ging one.Bad bad Idea.I had called the doctors office first and one of the doctors there told me to give myself a fleet enema.Very bad horrible insane over the edge I am dying right NOW pain.I was finally carried into the ER screaming.Yeh, Really.Totaly nuts gone from the pain.The had to sedate me before they could even take a look.One has no clue the kind of pain we survive.My heart rate hasn't been good ever since.It just races all the time now.Well, not today, because the new cardiologist gave me some new meds. Thank goodness.So that has been quite a relief.Hysterectomies. what an event.Ladies, get your female stuff tended because when that colon gets involved and stuck to your female organs it's nuthin but trouble.My surgery was just 20 days after the hysterectomy.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Not all obstructions cause ischemia, but they can in some cases. That is why obstructions are "medical emergancy" type situations. They can lead to complications that are not good. Kami, It sounds like you may have caught yours before it led to any tissue damage, which is a good thing.You can have drug induced ischemia without the obstruction. I don't know that the age related stuff always has an obstruction with it as well. I think, from what I read, it can be an arteries get too hard and the blood flow gets too reduced and the tissue dies without there being a stool problem that triggered it.With the post-surgical obstruction, were you on narcotic pain meds. Those can cause massive constipation/obstruction in some people.K.

G

·
My symptoms of bowel obstruction were uncontrollable vomiting, severe pain and yep diarrhea. (no blood in the stools) I never had constipation and for years I have had diarrhea, probable IBS-D. Anyhow my obstruction was caused by adhesions from previous childhood abdominal surgery. I was on HRT and that may of may not have contributed to the adhesions as I had problems long before the HRT.Presently I still have a lot of pain from the bowel and abdominal wall. Depending on what I eat and I am learning, I get more pain or some nausea.The good news is all my diagnostic tests show everything is functioning. Bad news is the pain.Calcium and flaxseed are helping with the diarrhea and I seldom think about it when I go shopping. Only working 2 mornings per week because of the pain.My type of obstruction was causing a deficiency of blood to the small bowel and omentum. 3/4 of my omentum was removed.Char

G

·
Forgot to mention the adhesions are probably still causing problems and could be related to the pain. My useless GI Doc does not think so as the pain is 24/7 and localized in the lower left quadrant. He states adhesions "do not hurt like that." Get the same info from my Internist, he thinks it is a inflammation of the internal abdominal wall. All I know is it hurts like hell.Char

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:He states adhesions "do not hurt like that." Get the same info from my Internist, he thinks it is a inflammation of the internal abdominal wall.
So what is causing the inflammation? Wouldn't the adhesion be the obvious culprit?

G

·
Hey Flux, So what is causing the inflammation? Wouldn't the adhesion be the obvious culprit? That is why I called my GI Doc useless, as my surgeons feel it is adhesions. Surgery now for adhesions is not a option, had enough for the year. Thanks for your input, Char

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My bowel Impaction has been the subject of debate with only the gynecologist. She says it was because of the surgery narcotics (the IV morphine pum I woke up with)HOWEVER the other doctors have thses thoughts:It is the general medical consensus that the impaction was caused by a number of contributing factors possibly in addition to the the morphine pump but the morphine pump looks like less of a culprit since I did have BM's until the gynecologist started me on the ANTIBIOTICAdditonally, the gastroenterologist felt that there are adhesions still on the outside of my gut and he gave me hyoscyamone early on because he said that that when the bowel gets irritated that the outside adhesions pull and cramp and make the bowel stop working like a charlie horse might get all hard and painful in the leg.So his approach to keeping the bowel in good working order is to keep it out of spasm and when keeping it our of spasm I get a reprieve from the pain.Personlly Char, If my doctor said that the pain didn't exist for me I would change doctors.I don't have a lot of patience for torture doctors.HRT would have only contributed to adhesions if you had endometriosis.If there were endometriosis the estrogen in HRT would have fed the endo and when endo is fed it grows and when it grows the body sesnses it as an invader and makes adhesins to go take care of the problem.I had/have endo.We are wondering right now if endo got left behind in the surgery process since my doctors think that the gyn doctor may not have been able to remove all the adhesions.I just had a CT scan where the radiologist has mentioned the possiblity of an endometria.I have an appointment with a reproductive endocrinologist in a couple of weeks so I'll get some answers then.I hope you get some attention to your pain real soon.It's a terrible pain those adhesions.Just awful.My gastroenterologist tellsme that there is nothing wrong with the inside of my colon.I am told that the whole problem I have is triggered from the outside and that If I don't work to keep my bowel out of physical stress that eventually I will develop in inside problem from all the stress.So next time your doctor tells you that adhesions don't hurt the way you say they do, tell him to talk to the hand (as you waive good bye)Hugs and Hope,Kamie

·
Registered
271 Posts
I am currently recovering from surgery to remove adhesions and scar tissue. Adhesions are a very bad thing to ignore. For years my docs have consistantly told me they coudn't "see" anything wrong, despite my complaints to the contrary. Since surgery, I have had to under go extensive tests to discover how much kidney damage I do have. It's damage caused by the adhesions. They were huge, wrapped around, and pushing in - on everything. Next week I get to start with a GI the same process - to discover how much damage my digestive system has suffered. Docs who think adhesions are nothing should be blessed by God to recieve the same amount as the patient before them.

G

·
Hey KamieI am changing GI Doc's, going over to Froedtert Medical Center, which is in Milwaukee.Anyhow I never had endometriosis, apparently the adhesions developed after my childhood surgery. (oopharectomy right side and appendectomy) I did not have any problems until the early 1990's.For my 2 surgeries I had a morphine pump and a pick line. Had 2 weeks of TPN and loads of antibiotics. (20 days of NG tube) Had 2 choices, do or die. (total 23 days in the hospital) The surgical repairs to the small bowel were on the right side of my abdomen.In early July the pain started in my lower left abdomen just above the groin. It is a persistant 24/7, I am coping and trying not to let it take over my life.Char

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Char, I am so very glad that you are seeing a new doctor. It takes the first new step to find answers.Yep, a surgery will do the trick in the adhesion catagory. bad bad stuff these adhesions. I don't know why they are not just making it a practive now to put in the interceed with any surgery since this whole adhesion reality is as big as it is with people.You do know about the no impact thing right?No running, no impact sports.Stretching helps a lot. slow easy stretching with deep long breaths to assist in the max stretch.I also use a hot oil pack when I hurt really bad.does wonders. And Mr. Kammie does my body work for me. Unestrified Dry Vitamin E helps internally.I had a friend who went through a massive 3rd degree burn on 25% of his body and he was told in the therapy unit to take vitamin E suppliments because it would help to keep his scaring from becoming too hard.So I have applied this knowlege to my adhesions and it is subtle but it does help and some days if it's even a bit of relief it's fine by me.I wish you all the best in finding the support of a good doctor. Having one brilliant person in your corner is such a necessity.Hugs & Hope,Kamie

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.