Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...I'm new to the forum. I was diagnosed with IBS back in 2000. since then, I have had one minor occurance (change in bowel habit - mostly loose stools) with mild pain in the lower left of my abdomen, and, after a couple of years of being relatively symptom free, this past December, the pain returned (inconsistantly) to my lower left Abdomen....appeared on the right side as well (lower) and while I haven't had all out diarrea, I have had to go two to three times a day and the bowel consistancy is light colored, sometimes floats and tends to have a more well formed "log" followed by ribbons....sometimes the BM is pencil thin but not that often - the oddity is that when wiping with toilet paper, I've noticed the consistancy to be a bit 'sticky' - I've had blood work recently and all was well expect for a mildly elevated bilirubin level----no weight loss----- is what I'm going through this time around consistant with IBS or should I have additional concerns? Is there anyone else that has had the same symptoms? Any response is very much appreciated!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
From what you described I didn't see anything that stands out as a "red flag" for something other than IBS. IBSers often have a wide variety of stool consistancies often in the same day. The main "red flags" to look for.Anemia or Elevated Sedimentation rates in the blood work.Bloody stools, although a few drops of bright blood is usually the IBS stool issues irritating hemaroids.Pain that wakes you up from a sound sleep (or diarrhea that continues through the night) With IBS the normal reduction in colon activity when sleeping typically (but not 100%) reduces the symptoms of IBS. Infections or Inflamatory diseases are more likely to keep going when asleep.Inexplicable weight loss is the other major red flag.If you have any reason to think you might have gotten into something (like Giardia or other GI parasite) in December it may be worth getting a stool test. But often a GI infection can start the IBS off and it remains even after the infection clears up, so you may have gotten a bug, but it is gone, just flared up IBS remains.K.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts