Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could having scar tissue from an old bowel obstruction cause my IBS pain to be more severe? can you tell me what is available to help with the pain? i already take vicodin and flexaril for my fibro but it does nothing for my IBS pain. is there anything i can take to stop my diarrea after several days i feel very weak? thanks any advice will be greatly appriciated.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Have you tried Imodium for the diarrhea? That is usually a place to start. They've done studies using it in IBSers on a daily basis and it seems to be OK for us. Usually they find a 2X a day pattern works better than once a day even when the total amount is the same. You want to find a adose that works for you, but doesn't constipate you. So usually start low and work up to find what works.Sometimes people get adhesions which can cause pain in addition to whatever you would have from IBS. This talks about the issues in relation to Gynecological surgery but any abdominal surgery can cause it and it explains how they can cause pain when they do. http://www.gynob.com/pelpain.htm sometimes they only remedy is to go in and cut the adhesion which eases the pain. But they may be able to do nerve blocks or other pain management techniques.K.

·
Registered
577 Posts
redvickie,I can really relate to your pain issue. I too have a lot of painful adhesions and scar tissue due to abdominal surgery and am struggling with it. Unfortunately nerve pain is very difficult to treat and seems to not respond to narcotics. Have you been to a pain clinic? Nerve blocks can be successful - particularly Hypogastric Plexus blocks. I had that done but for me it didnt work but everyone's different and it depends how its done. Have you expored the surgery option? I have heard that the success rate is very low, maybe 5% because often new scar tissue forms, but again, everyone's different.Sometimes docs will prescribe meds like Neurontin or Lyrica for our type of pain. I hope by the time you read this you will have come up with something that has helped, please keep in touch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts