Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I am new here. Have been keeping an eye on these forums for a while.I suffer badly from IBS. I have had it for nearly five years. On average I go to the toliet for a No2 about 8-10 times a day. I suffer from anxiety and depression like most people on here. For some reason every single night for the last five years I have herendous bowel spasms. They click on at about 10pm and go right through the night making it extremely hard to sleep. I get about 2-3 hours sleep. I am unemployed at the moment because of the IBS, so the days are easier to cope with insomnia. I was wondering does anybody else get bowel spasms all the way through the night?I have taken almost every medication available to calm IBS and not one has decent enough efects. I have tried all the anti spasmodics and they have no effect what so ever. I have tried multiple herbal remedies etc. Stress therapy, relaxation techniques, hypnotherapy, acupuncture, chinese medicine and realised that my case is too far gone for recovery. I had a private test done that stated I had a yeast infection, I took oregano oil for two months, whether it is gone or not I don't know. I am also on citalopram once a day and take loperamide every few days to try and slow it down but all to no avail.My problem is that I have a dream, I am chasing to become a filmmaker. But feeling ill constantly makes it extremely hard to achieve. I have lost nearly all contact with all my friends, I can only presume they think I am complete failure and am ignoring them at all costs when I have to cancel things, (recently cancelled a holiday to spain with friends), I am unemployed, I tried a trial as a kitchen porter, but as it was extremely busy I ended up in severe unbearable pain for three days with diarrohea. This was a reality check telling me that whatever job I get full time(which I will have to do) will cause chronic pain and only further my depression.I took an overdose last year. I get suicidal a lot and cannot talk to anyone about it. Recently a policemen found me in my car in a car park at night with my head on the steering wheel and unable to move because I was on the verge of hanging myself. He thought I was drinking or had taken drugs and called up my parents. I am now very anti social.I still think about suicide but there are short periods of time in the day when I feel better in the day and am a lot happier. This is exactly how I would feel if I didn't have IBS. I am incredibly jealous of some people.I have a passion for my dream and think I could suffer the pain in order to achive it but there are times when I slump incredibly low and think this is the last time. I have tried nearly every treatment there is but feel free to put some ideas down, whether I've tried them or not.I'm sorry if I sound depressed but my life has been completely destroyed and yet everyone around me thinks there is nothing wrong with me.

·
Registered
976 Posts
strat86I am so sorry you are feeling like this, I have been there and know how you feel, I too tried to commit suicide a few years ago, I have ibs-D every day no breaks, pain and bloating, I suffer with anxiety and depression and take mirtazapine and buspar for the anxiety and imodium and calcium for the D, buscopan for the spasms. I do not work either at the moment due to these problems and am currently having Cognitive Behaviour Therapy to see if it will help with the anxiety, I have tried the hypnotherapy cds they mention on the forum and i am just finishing listening to them for the 2nd time.Ask your GP to refer you for some cognitive behaviour therapy, it could help give you your life back.You are not alone, feel free to pm me anytime.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for the reply, appreciated.I will look into the therapy you stated, I have done this sort of therapy, but will have to wait till I get some more money before I can afford more treatment as it has cleared out my savings account that I had been saving all my life for.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Well Strat I did the IBS Audioprogram 100 and it managed my pain like nothing else! I would urge to visit out CBT/Hypnotherapy Forum for more info about both. Also visit the IBS Audioprogram 100's site found here:http://www.healthyaudio.com/content/ibs?r=VmPRrcNk for more info on gut specific hypnotherapy.All the best

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi BQ,Really pleased you found something to help with your pain. Have thought about the Audioprogram 100 a couple of times but yet to take the plunge... Has it totally solved the pain issue, or does it help you cope with the pain and not dwell on it (thus making it more prominent). The pain is the thing that gets to me the both, of course I dont like the issues with BM's but I just dont like pain!!

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
It helps me manage it Ippo. My pain still comes but now I have a tool to manage it that works better than even narcotics.I use what I learned from the program and can back the pain down to nothing at times. Of course it helps not to dwell on the pain... so I use distraction as well. But when it is severe I use what I learned from the HT program. Hypno creates new neural pathways in the brain.. check out the CBT/HT Forum and also Mike's site for much more info.Pain I found was worse in a way than the D. Pain would color my personality.. take me away from me.. ya know? The D was just me in the bathroom alot... but the pain..?? I just couldn't be me.. period. Very debillitating and life altering. So to me.. the pain was worse.But with the hypno... I asked LOADS of questions before doing it and they were all patiently answered and then I saved up my money and purchased it. By day 20 of the 100 days I woke up NOT in pain. It was unreal to me... Really changed my life for the better!I know it doesn't work for everyone... but that is how it worked for me. And continues to work. (Which is kind of amazing.. because this is 8 yrs down the road now.. Course one can always re-listen to it and that is another advantage to it.)Relatively speaking.. it was cheap.. pay for the whole program (100 sessions in essence) and that is about the cost of ONE in-person session. So it was economical. (I still had to save up for it though.) I could conveniently do it in my own home.. when I wanted to. And the staff there as well as Marilyn (The Moderator of the CBT/HT Forum) was there for any questions I might have etc. It was THE best thing I ever did for IBS pain management.. bar none. So Ippo maybe go read some of the info on the CBT/HT Forum and post any questions you may have about it there. The info there explains about it a whole lot better than I have! All the best

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks for that BQ, very encoraging reply. I have popped into the forum on the odd occasion but think I will have a good look on there soon and read through some of the info and maybe put a few questions out there...I totally agree with you about the pain being a massive issue. Yes having the feeling of needing a bm for quite a lot of the day, being bloated at times, soft/loose/odd BM's is a pain in the bum (litrually), but the pain is the thing that bothers me the most. Like you (were!?!) it can really get to me, make me a little short tempered and just not myself. When out with friends and in pain I am distant and not very interactive, so I must seem quite boring. When at home with my fiancee I can also be distant and just 'away from it all' if that makes sence.. I do sometimes have days with very little pain, and perhaps days with little or non, but also get the days where I just cant get rid of it. I have tried Buscopan on a couple of occasion and am not totally sure if it helped or not. Perhaps power of the mind is something that may work for me..!?Thanks for you advice..

·
Registered
722 Posts
I am really sorry you are feeling so bad,i do know how you feel.I have had severe ibs for many years and also chronic fatigue syndrome for 10years.I also have not worked for 10years due to my symptoms.Have you tried low dose anti-depressants for the pain sometimes they help.I to have tried everything there is on the market to no avail,but trying to live with the symptoms is a nightmare!Do you live with anyone,are they supportive?It is a shame your friends dont understand how you feel,it would be nice if there was some understanding among your friends as that can help a bit.As cherrypie09 has said you maybe should get a referral for some kind of therapy/councelling.It is free in the UK,and maybe your Doctor could push for an appointment sooner rather than having to wait a while.what about the Samaritans,have you heard of them?You can phone and speak to someone in confidence.Take care.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Diana 63, I am on Citalopram, I'm not sure if that is a low dose antidepressant or not but I will look into it. I live with my parents who have looked after me very well but as the citalopram has boosted my mood, though not improved my symptoms I probably come across as just fine and think I'm doing fine. Plus I am sick of telling them I feel awful every day so I don't bother anymore. After I took the overdose I recieved therapy but it cost £20 a session so I'll have to look into free councelling.My main problem with the depression is that dealing with that on its own is entirely pointless as it is purely a result of my IBS. The IBS causes the depression. I need to fix the IBS then the depression will dissappear, as if I didn't have IBS I wouldn't be depressed. That's probably the reason I don't bother talking about it.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Thats just like me, my anxiety and depression only happened since the ibs-d became so bad in january this year, the more i get uptight and anxious the worse the ibs-d , then the more i get uptight and anxious. Some days i feel unable to cope with my life and think i am going mad. I hope i will get better but at the moment it seems to me that i will always be like this and it frightens me. I havnt worked since february due to the anxiety and depression and the ibs-d.Take care, talk to your doctor, and please get a referral for counselling.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I totally agree with you about IBS causing Depression,that is what has caused mine also.It is not fair.Wish we could find something that helps.I know how difficult it is living with this condition.I do hope you can get some sort of counselling,and find something that eases your pain.Take care.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Hi - Just popped in here to share a bit - IBS can definitely cause depression - as well as anxiety - sort of an unending cycle - being in constant pain certainly IS depressing - the IBS Audio Program does address these concerns as well as the pain caused by IBS. The author of the program is in the UK and the advantage over having to go to an in-person therapist (whether CBT or Hypnotherapy) is that there are no worries of travel, keeping appointments, etc. and the therapy can be done in the privacy of your home. As a result of having IBS for over 20 years - severe IBS, where I was housebound and incapacitated with pain and D, this program helped me, so now I help others and speak with many who mention symptoms and issues that all of you are discussing here - and they have seen remarkable improvement. It does not happen overnight, and it requires patience - as well as keeping away from reading and thinking about IBS, but the vast majority of folks who use it have been helped - Take a peek at the links below if you wish, and we are always happy to answer any questions. The fact that the IBS Audio Program has been discussed on this BB since 1999 and the overwhelmingly vast majority of feedback is positive, is a testimony to how well it works. Granted, as with any treatment method, or medication, it doesnt work for everyone, but it has the best overall treack record, and is worth looking into! The IBS Audio Program has an introduction where the total IBS condition is explained - and it is as if the author can read into the IBS patient's mind - he clearly understands what it is to have IBS - and there is also a free recording for those in your family or circle, explaining the IBS condition called the IBS Companion - when I first heard it, I broke into tears because it really explains what we go thru and how we feel - and it is the only session of its kind out there.Take care and know that there is hope out there!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.