Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else find that their symptoms can be brought on just by the thought of going somewhere? It's as though just the thought of going somewhere makes me have an attack. There is definitely a link from the brain to the gut. It's like an overwhelming fear. I try to calm things down with relaxation but I just dread the invites. Anyone else suffer from this?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I can totally relate to your post. Even though I have IBS problems when alone at home, I feel that I can live with them. But it's virtually impossible for me to go out (even with my closest friends) because the problems suddenly become unbearable. From the mere mention of having to go somewhere, I feel immediate movement in my intestines. I then either experience horrible gas and the rumbling sounds in my intestines, or get D. I'm thinking of asking my doctor about an anti-anxiety drug, because I get so anxious about having to go anywhere. Have you found anything that works for you? I, too, have tried the deep breathing, and unfortunately, it hasn't worked yet. Good Luck! I'd love to hear any advice on how people avoid this symptom. It's made me into a hermit...I almost never go out anymore.

·
Registered
103 Posts
its the same way for me too. im ok when im at home for the most part (mornings are trouble though) and when i go somewhere ALONE. but as for going out with a group? the only way i can manage that SOMETIMES is if i drive myself to where ever we are going. i guess the thought that if i need to leave in a hurry i can. but for the most part i try and avoid going anywhere if i dont have to. and when i do know i have to go somewhere i find myself worrying about it weeks in advance which makes the ibs miserably worse even at home.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I was like that too. I had pit stops all along my normal routes so I could pull in really quickly if I needed to. And if I got in a long line-up at a 4-way stop or traffic light, I'd freak out! I don't even think about it at all now that I'm feeling better. (Dr. Dahlman's program.) I was thinking about that today as I did several errands. I didn't need to stop at all and I couldn't believe how excited that made me!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I always used to think that my symptoms were psychosomatic, because I would feel relaxed when by myself, but as soon as I became surrounded by people, eg in lecture rooms or public transport I would get rumbling in the bowel which would not stop until I was by myself and not worried about passing gas.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not alone in this then? I'm sure our brains remember in every detail just what an attack is like - and then it puts it into action! It gets to be like a phobia, maybe it is a phobia?I've got a big wedding to attend in a couple of weeks, already I'm getting stressed about it. Maybe we should think of the worst thing that could happen and how we would deal with it? I tend not to eat too much the night before a trip out and take lomotil. My Dr. is trying me on an anti-depressant, Mirtazapine. Can't say it's helped that much. The more attacks of IBS I get, the worse the fear becomes. It's so unpredictable, you never know when it's going to strike. Maybe we are all slowly going mad!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Definately not alone. I get so worked up, even with close friends who know about my situation. It's awful. I have an appointment with a therapist on Friday to work through the anxiety I have and that it exacerbates my IBS-D. It can be horrible and I am miserable. This is no way I want to live my life and for my family to live. I know there is a solution out there for me. I just need to find it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.