Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G

·
Wow! Clear evidence of the brain/gut connection at work. This is very interesting. This makes a lot of sense as I have also read about connections between serotonin levels and brain gut reactions for those with IBS, in addition to hormones (pituitary gland). It all points to the big head!!!

G

·
Wow! Clear evidence of the brain/gut connection at work. This is very interesting. This makes a lot of sense as I have also read about connections between serotonin levels and brain gut reactions for those with IBS, in addition to hormones (pituitary gland). It all points to the big head!!!

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I keep trying to get across that the brain and the gut are both operative in IBS. I thought the pictures would help
, but IBSers need to know this.Its still important to understand that IBS is not a phycological or "all in the head" but that the brain is not registering the signals from the gut the right way. IT is showing increased anxiety/emotional responce and less pain activation.Dr Bolen has a good explanation on here site."Researchers have been studying how the brain reacts to bowel pain, comparing people with IBS and those lucky individuals who do not suffer from the disorder. Balloons are used to distend the bowel and cause pain, while brain scans are conducted to see which part of the brain responds. In people without IBS, the part of the brain that is activated in response to the pain is that which serves to modulate or suppress pain through the use of the brain's own opiates. Scans of people with IBS indicate that this part of the brain is not activated in response to bowel pain. Instead, the part that is associated with anxiety, arousal and hypervigilance responds. Therefore, instead of the brain accessing its own pain-reducing capabilities, a pain-enhancing process is initiated. What does this mean for the IBS sufferer? One way to regain control over the disorder would be to take active steps to turn off the brain's anxiety response. Relaxation techniques can help to calm the body by regulating breathing and reducing muscle tension. The use of distraction, meditation or calming visual imagery can help to reduce hypervigilance. Keeping the body and mind as calm as possible in response to abdominal sensations will help to quiet down the processes that contribute to the severity of IBS symptoms."DR Drossmans clinical issues. Easier to understand http://www.aboutibs.org/article%20enteen.html The full test on this in medscape. Complex http://www.medscape.com/CMECircle/Gastroen.../toc-CME01.html ------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forumI work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I keep trying to get across that the brain and the gut are both operative in IBS. I thought the pictures would help
, but IBSers need to know this.Its still important to understand that IBS is not a phycological or "all in the head" but that the brain is not registering the signals from the gut the right way. IT is showing increased anxiety/emotional responce and less pain activation.Dr Bolen has a good explanation on here site."Researchers have been studying how the brain reacts to bowel pain, comparing people with IBS and those lucky individuals who do not suffer from the disorder. Balloons are used to distend the bowel and cause pain, while brain scans are conducted to see which part of the brain responds. In people without IBS, the part of the brain that is activated in response to the pain is that which serves to modulate or suppress pain through the use of the brain's own opiates. Scans of people with IBS indicate that this part of the brain is not activated in response to bowel pain. Instead, the part that is associated with anxiety, arousal and hypervigilance responds. Therefore, instead of the brain accessing its own pain-reducing capabilities, a pain-enhancing process is initiated. What does this mean for the IBS sufferer? One way to regain control over the disorder would be to take active steps to turn off the brain's anxiety response. Relaxation techniques can help to calm the body by regulating breathing and reducing muscle tension. The use of distraction, meditation or calming visual imagery can help to reduce hypervigilance. Keeping the body and mind as calm as possible in response to abdominal sensations will help to quiet down the processes that contribute to the severity of IBS symptoms."DR Drossmans clinical issues. Easier to understand http://www.aboutibs.org/article%20enteen.html The full test on this in medscape. Complex http://www.medscape.com/CMECircle/Gastroen.../toc-CME01.html ------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forumI work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Eric, this is very interesting. The next questions are 'why?' and 'how can it be prevented or modulated back to a normal pain-killing response?'. Relaxation techniques and hypnotherapy are very helpful, but like many treatments, don't stop the cause of the illness. Well, not for everyone anyway.
quote:�In people without IBS, the partof the brain that is activated in response tothe pain is that which serves to modulate orsuppress pain through the use of the brain'sown opiates. Scans of people with IBSindicate that this part of the brain is notactivated in response to bowel pain.
I think this must be connected to some reading I've done on the mu opioid receptor with chronic pain conditions. The mu opioid receptor in the brain does not work properly sometimes - it doesn't send out endorphins in response to pain signals - so there's a higher level of pain. This receptor is also the location where painkillers target, so it also accounts for the ineffectiveness of even strong painkillers with some people.
quote:"This may help explain why some people are more sensitive, or less sensitive, than others when it comes to painful sensations," Zubieta says. "We show that people vary both in the number of receptors that they have for these anti-pain brain chemicals, and in their ability to release the anti-pain chemicals themselves. Both of these factors appear to determine the emotional and sensory aspects of a painful experience. Such variability in the pain-response system may help explain why some people react to pain and pain medications differently. It may also be quite relevant to why some people, but not others, develop chronic pain conditions."
Here's a link to an article about it: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/200...h-sgf071001.php "Study gives first glimpse of human brain's natural painkiller system in actionResults show how people vary in ability to suppress pain, may lead to better chronic pain treatment" Please can you post a link to the source of your excerpt on you website. Also the URL of Dr Bolen's website. Thanks. ------------------susanIBS D/C type & M.E/CFS

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Eric, this is very interesting. The next questions are 'why?' and 'how can it be prevented or modulated back to a normal pain-killing response?'. Relaxation techniques and hypnotherapy are very helpful, but like many treatments, don't stop the cause of the illness. Well, not for everyone anyway.
quote:�In people without IBS, the partof the brain that is activated in response tothe pain is that which serves to modulate orsuppress pain through the use of the brain'sown opiates. Scans of people with IBSindicate that this part of the brain is notactivated in response to bowel pain.
I think this must be connected to some reading I've done on the mu opioid receptor with chronic pain conditions. The mu opioid receptor in the brain does not work properly sometimes - it doesn't send out endorphins in response to pain signals - so there's a higher level of pain. This receptor is also the location where painkillers target, so it also accounts for the ineffectiveness of even strong painkillers with some people.
quote:"This may help explain why some people are more sensitive, or less sensitive, than others when it comes to painful sensations," Zubieta says. "We show that people vary both in the number of receptors that they have for these anti-pain brain chemicals, and in their ability to release the anti-pain chemicals themselves. Both of these factors appear to determine the emotional and sensory aspects of a painful experience. Such variability in the pain-response system may help explain why some people react to pain and pain medications differently. It may also be quite relevant to why some people, but not others, develop chronic pain conditions."
Here's a link to an article about it: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/200...h-sgf071001.php "Study gives first glimpse of human brain's natural painkiller system in actionResults show how people vary in ability to suppress pain, may lead to better chronic pain treatment" Please can you post a link to the source of your excerpt on you website. Also the URL of Dr Bolen's website. Thanks. ------------------susanIBS D/C type & M.E/CFS

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They have known about this for the last four years and have done more of these studies and will be doing even more. Some of this is the state of art research going on in viceral hypersensitivity.Susan this is DR Bolens site. Also I posted the full link that explains this in medscape on the first post so you know. http://www.irritablebowel.net/BreakingtheBonds.htm And I will read your abstract which looks very interesting.They have recently found the pain center in the brain with this brain imaging technique as well.The why Susan is the dysregulation of neurotransmitters specifically serotonin as a chemical messenger in the uptake and downtake of the enteric nervous system to the brain and back to the gut. Although other neurotransimitters are being investigated, serotonin is one of the most important and the most researched.On the hypnotherapy front the two major things it does, but there are many more with this, is lower the anxiety centers and turn on the pain centers to release endorphines to the body and gut. It is much more complicated then that though and has many more benefical reasons why its working on IBS. I know you have done the tapes, but keep working with doing this on your own using the imagery you have learned. I do it ten minutes twice a day on my own. I have been doing fanstastic, except for a little heat stress, but that has come and gone.I have an example for you. Have some one massage your neck. When there done why does it feel better? The colon is a muscle and it can be relaxed, but it takes techniques and practice to accomplish it.With hypnotherapy your are relaxing the whole body and when you relax the CNS the ENS follows suit. One of the reasons hypnotherapy goes to the root of the problem and why they know its effective and why it has such a high success rate. It is on the top of the list for IBS specifacally gut directed, but CBT is next also gut directed, but other yoga, tai chi ect. can all work on IBS and these connections. What is relaxation really and what chemical intereaction happen in the body when your are relaxed? Your regulating the chemicals that don't seem to be regulating right. Nothing at this time stops the cause of the condition. Even the new drugs are preventing certain aspects of it just like hypno or cbt.So right now it may take a combo of ,meds, individual diet, and majorally importantly relaxation techniques to calm the brain gut axis, not just because there is abnormal "head stress" even normal stress on the system can be a problem, but for other stresses on the system as well.For myself I will give you an example with the heat stress that bugged me recently. The heat was stressing my digestion and giving me more d then I have been having the last couple years, it is known do do this even in normal people, but I drank more water and relealized the colon was over reacting, nothing I could really do about that as it was happening, but where this would have set off my IBS and maybe bugged me for a week in the old days, I used the self hypnosis to calm that overactive colon and stopped the d and am back to normal. It did not bring on severe pain like the old days, it was slightly uncomortable, but not a trip to the er and recovering from it was way faster then it would have been had I not done it.So this is all managing IBS at this point.The problem with IBS might be at the synapes level of the 5ht receptors. The symptoms are just the responces from this dysregulation. Treating the mind and gut though makes treating IBS way more effective.One of the reasons hormones effect IBS is because they also effect and are regulated through this system.------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forumI work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They have known about this for the last four years and have done more of these studies and will be doing even more. Some of this is the state of art research going on in viceral hypersensitivity.Susan this is DR Bolens site. Also I posted the full link that explains this in medscape on the first post so you know. http://www.irritablebowel.net/BreakingtheBonds.htm And I will read your abstract which looks very interesting.They have recently found the pain center in the brain with this brain imaging technique as well.The why Susan is the dysregulation of neurotransmitters specifically serotonin as a chemical messenger in the uptake and downtake of the enteric nervous system to the brain and back to the gut. Although other neurotransimitters are being investigated, serotonin is one of the most important and the most researched.On the hypnotherapy front the two major things it does, but there are many more with this, is lower the anxiety centers and turn on the pain centers to release endorphines to the body and gut. It is much more complicated then that though and has many more benefical reasons why its working on IBS. I know you have done the tapes, but keep working with doing this on your own using the imagery you have learned. I do it ten minutes twice a day on my own. I have been doing fanstastic, except for a little heat stress, but that has come and gone.I have an example for you. Have some one massage your neck. When there done why does it feel better? The colon is a muscle and it can be relaxed, but it takes techniques and practice to accomplish it.With hypnotherapy your are relaxing the whole body and when you relax the CNS the ENS follows suit. One of the reasons hypnotherapy goes to the root of the problem and why they know its effective and why it has such a high success rate. It is on the top of the list for IBS specifacally gut directed, but CBT is next also gut directed, but other yoga, tai chi ect. can all work on IBS and these connections. What is relaxation really and what chemical intereaction happen in the body when your are relaxed? Your regulating the chemicals that don't seem to be regulating right. Nothing at this time stops the cause of the condition. Even the new drugs are preventing certain aspects of it just like hypno or cbt.So right now it may take a combo of ,meds, individual diet, and majorally importantly relaxation techniques to calm the brain gut axis, not just because there is abnormal "head stress" even normal stress on the system can be a problem, but for other stresses on the system as well.For myself I will give you an example with the heat stress that bugged me recently. The heat was stressing my digestion and giving me more d then I have been having the last couple years, it is known do do this even in normal people, but I drank more water and relealized the colon was over reacting, nothing I could really do about that as it was happening, but where this would have set off my IBS and maybe bugged me for a week in the old days, I used the self hypnosis to calm that overactive colon and stopped the d and am back to normal. It did not bring on severe pain like the old days, it was slightly uncomortable, but not a trip to the er and recovering from it was way faster then it would have been had I not done it.So this is all managing IBS at this point.The problem with IBS might be at the synapes level of the 5ht receptors. The symptoms are just the responces from this dysregulation. Treating the mind and gut though makes treating IBS way more effective.One of the reasons hormones effect IBS is because they also effect and are regulated through this system.------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forumI work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Now I'd like to see MRI's of people during that test;one of which would be an IBS subject which is using hypno to manage the pain as well as an IBS subject that isn't using hypno & a control. Am I askin for the world here?And b/4 ya ask, no! I don't wanna volunteer!
Thanks for the pics Eric. Reading this post has taught me yet more, & nailed down some of the facts I had floating around.BQ[This message has been edited by BQ (edited 08-16-2001).]

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Now I'd like to see MRI's of people during that test;one of which would be an IBS subject which is using hypno to manage the pain as well as an IBS subject that isn't using hypno & a control. Am I askin for the world here?And b/4 ya ask, no! I don't wanna volunteer!
Thanks for the pics Eric. Reading this post has taught me yet more, & nailed down some of the facts I had floating around.BQ[This message has been edited by BQ (edited 08-16-2001).]

G

·
eric, can you post the whole article? some of the references look interesting and should be available through NLM's pubmed. there might also be copyright problems but if you send an email to the journal I think they'd let you post portions.tom

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.