Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have good suggestions for breakfast foods? I find I'm more likely to get an IBS-D attack in the morning. On the other hand, if I don't put something in my system I suffer from horrible headaches. I feel like I'm choosing between two evils- any advice?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I'd stick to something low fat and a fairly small meal made up of foods that you seem to tolerate at other times. You don't have to eat foods that are "breakfast foods" at breakfast. If you tolerate rice at dinner then make extra and heat that up if you like to eat something like a hot cereal for breakfast and then add some lean meat you tolerate at other times or some other protein to help with the headaches as a meal with a bit of proteins lasts longer. It doesn't have to be bacon or sausage, it could be a bit of chicken breast.Morning problems generally are because the colon is more active in the morning in all people every day of their life (just causes problems for IBSers) not because you ate the wrong food.Eating a large fatty meal will activate an already active GI tract more than a smaller lighter meal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd stick to something low fat and a fairly small meal made up of foods that you seem to tolerate at other times. You don't have to eat foods that are "breakfast foods" at breakfast. If you tolerate rice at dinner then make extra and heat that up if you like to eat something like a hot cereal for breakfast and then add some lean meat you tolerate at other times or some other protein to help with the headaches as a meal with a bit of proteins lasts longer. It doesn't have to be bacon or sausage, it could be a bit of chicken breast.Morning problems generally are because the colon is more active in the morning in all people every day of their life (just causes problems for IBSers) not because you ate the wrong food.Eating a large fatty meal will activate an already active GI tract more than a smaller lighter meal.
I find dry toast and yogurt a good to go breakfast.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.