Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone seem to eat more during the day if they have breakfast??I get up and am hungry soon after but i have found that if i get over that hump of being hungry in the morning, i eat less overall during the day. But most of the time i give in and eat cereal or bread or something and then am starving the rest of the day and binge all day. Matt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yes Matt ... I always seem hungry thru' the day if I eat breakfast (but I'm making a real effort to it as it's supposed to be the most important meal of the day!) I always wake up starving if I eat a big evening meal the night before as well. Wonder why?Roz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never skip breakfast, because if I do I get dizzy or get a headache, so I don't know if I'd be hungrier later without it. But I do eat a very light breakfast, just carrot juice and cereal, and I do get hungry again a couple of hours later. So I always take a little snack to work and take a coffee break when I get a chance. Then I can easily hold out until lunchtime (which isn't till at least 1:30 PM for me).Cheryl

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I always eat breakfast. I don't feel to well if I don't eat in the a.m. Usually get lightheaded. I do find that I am hungry throughout the day.I don't know if it is a carb connection or what, so I have been trying to cut down on carbs throughout the day...but I still eat them in the morning, because breakfast is almost always oatmeal or cold cereal and decaf tea.Michelle------------------Learn from the mistakes of others.You can't live long enoughto make them all yourself.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I was never a breakfast person most of my life. The last couple of years I have forced myself to eat breakfast due to my hypglycemia problem and it also is better for my metabolism to eat breakfast. When I first started eating breakfast I did feel hungrier afterward. I was hungry mid morning and famished for lunch. After awhile though it did get better. I guess maybe it is due to it increasing your metabolism earlier in the day. They say it is better for you to eat breakfast than not to. Overall, skipping breakfast never affected my weight.

·
Registered
927 Posts
There is obviously a link between ibs and hypoglycaemia. If you have bad digestion you are less likely to absorb nutrients and your carbohydrate metabolism gets very "whacked"!Bad digestion also leads to poor circulation. Another large factor in balanced energy levels. Of note is that wheat is not at all good for sustaining balanced energy levels which is in most cereals.ScottySwotty

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've found if I eat protein and/or fruit in the morning I get less hungary than when I used to eat any kind of grains. I also don't have gas during the day anymore without grains and seem to have more energy.Try a light midmorning and midafternoon snack, like fruit or something else small if you can't eat fruit, to assuage your hunger.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
altphyl,What do you eat for your protein breakfast???I think the low enery i have and the extreme hunger must be due to the carbs. I don't know how else to explain it. When i do have breakfast, it is always carbs.Matt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i used to find that if i skipped brekkie i would not feel very hungry for the rest of the day. But lately i can't skip it without feeling really lightheaded heachachey and sick!I guess it is my body telling me that "breakfast is the most important meal of the day yada yada yada...."i suppose it is for the best. But when you are not meant to have dairy or many carbs choosing what exactly to have can be a toughy!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Matt,When I switched to protein for breakfast I ate mostly a hardboiled egg but I got sick of them and lately have been eating mostly turkey bacon, 3 or 4 strips. It has less fat and few if any of the chemicals in regular bacon but tastes good. You could even eat things like leftover chicken. There is really no such thing as "breakfast food" except what we have been brainwashed to believe. Try anything that appeals to you except grains of any kind. I'd love to hear if you feel more energetic. Give it a week or two to see if there is a difference.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hello, Well, here it is. Straight from an R.N. that I asked the very same question. When your stomach is filled it stretches, as it empties you feel hungary. Overnight your body has the chance to empty your stomach and allow it to shrink. The smaller it is, even though not by much, the less hungary you will be. However I was told that not eating breakfast is not healthy as I'm sure you've already heard. ------------------aimee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
altphyl,Do you just eat protein all day long, for lunch and dinner too or do you have carbs then?? I don't think eggs agree that well with me. I tried hard-boiled eggs a few times. I usually have chicken for dinner so i don't know if i can eat it for breakfast too. I guess i could. If you don't mind, could you list some more protein foods i could have too. I am sick of eating the same ol' thingMatt

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:There is obviously a link between ibs and hypoglycaemia.
No such link exists.
quote:If you have bad digestion you are less likely to absorb nutrients
But that doesn't occur in IBS.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Most protein, other than eggs, is meat or soy products. You could try coldcuts or something like that. Cottage cheese and yogurt have protein but some of us have problems with dairy. You could check out the store for soy products, like a smoothie with soy milk and fruit would be good. I don't eat only protein. I eat a lot of fruit and vegies and some wheatfree grains because I have a problem with wheat. Things like baked potatoes send my blood sugar into orbit (downward) on an empty stomach, so I don't do that. I guess you just need to experiment to see what makes you feel good and what doesn't, but I hope my suggestions help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Eating breakfast stimulates your metabolism. Though you may feel more hungry through the day, you are in fact burning more calories than if you skip breakfast. Eating breakfast keeps you alert and focused. As they say, it's the most important meal of the day!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
altphyl,With something like a soy smoothie, isn't soy milk a carb?? It has so much carb listed on the label. I can't eat dairy either and eating eggs in the morning doesn't really agree with me. All that there is that i can have is lunchmeat.Matt

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.