Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was wondering if anyone else here experienced difficulty breathing with IBS? I have alternating C/D, and my stomach feels very tight a lot of the time, and I feel like I can't get a full breath. Also, I have a sore throat a lot and feel like something's getting into my lungs at times, and experience some chest pain--does any of this sound like GERD? Is there any connection between GERD and IBS? Thanks for your help.

G

·
I have similar symptoms and think in my case it is GERD, although I haven't been diagnosed. I know that swallowing, breathing difficulties, a sore throat, and heartburn/chest pain may be related to acid reflux. You can see your doctor about whether you may have GERD, although I don't think there's an official procedure for diagnosis . . . unless they want to check for esophagus damage with an endoscopy.I have read that it is common for people who have IBS to also have GERD symptoms. Hope this helps.

G

·
I have similar symptoms and think in my case it is GERD, although I haven't been diagnosed. I know that swallowing, breathing difficulties, a sore throat, and heartburn/chest pain may be related to acid reflux. You can see your doctor about whether you may have GERD, although I don't think there's an official procedure for diagnosis . . . unless they want to check for esophagus damage with an endoscopy.I have read that it is common for people who have IBS to also have GERD symptoms. Hope this helps.

G

·
What medications are you on/have you been taking. If you are on any form of valium, you may have this; especially if it happens in cold damp air.

G

·
What medications are you on/have you been taking. If you are on any form of valium, you may have this; especially if it happens in cold damp air.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you both very much for your replies. I will see my doctor about GERD when I can afford to go. I'm not on any medications currently. I didn't know that valium could cause those symptoms. It gets worse when I eat or even when I drink some water. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you both very much for your replies. I will see my doctor about GERD when I can afford to go. I'm not on any medications currently. I didn't know that valium could cause those symptoms. It gets worse when I eat or even when I drink some water. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hi Shauna!I usually have breathing difficulties and trouble eating or drinking when I'm very bloated. My doctor explained me it is natural with IBS because the diaphragma is compressed whenever we are bloated, so it makes it difficult to breath. Hope you get better soon.Teresa

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hi Shauna!I usually have breathing difficulties and trouble eating or drinking when I'm very bloated. My doctor explained me it is natural with IBS because the diaphragma is compressed whenever we are bloated, so it makes it difficult to breath. Hope you get better soon.Teresa

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
You should also be screened for asthma which can cause chest pain and funny feelings in the lungs and make it hard to catch your breath.You should do that ASAP as asthma can be a serious problem.GERD can cause asthma like symptoms, so it isn't always clear. Does taking an antacid or OTC acid blocker stop the symtpoms? If you have a history of allergies that can up the odds for asthma.K.------------------ kmottus###aol.com�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
You should also be screened for asthma which can cause chest pain and funny feelings in the lungs and make it hard to catch your breath.You should do that ASAP as asthma can be a serious problem.GERD can cause asthma like symptoms, so it isn't always clear. Does taking an antacid or OTC acid blocker stop the symtpoms? If you have a history of allergies that can up the odds for asthma.K.------------------ kmottus###aol.com�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
517 Posts
I also find it hard to breath but was told that it was part of IBS. When I feel that way, I take Gas-X and my condition seems to improve (somewhat). However, some days other symptoms show up and I don't have any problems breathing. I stopped trying to make sense of IBS...N.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I also find it hard to breath but was told that it was part of IBS. When I feel that way, I take Gas-X and my condition seems to improve (somewhat). However, some days other symptoms show up and I don't have any problems breathing. I stopped trying to make sense of IBS...N.

·
Banned
221 Posts
musemYour comment about symptoms following taking valium. Do you get this too? I experience a short feeling of breathing difficulty and mild panic followed by total relaxation, when the air is cool and damp! Never connected it. How did you identify this?

·
Banned
221 Posts
musemYour comment about symptoms following taking valium. Do you get this too? I experience a short feeling of breathing difficulty and mild panic followed by total relaxation, when the air is cool and damp! Never connected it. How did you identify this?

G

·
It's in the literature. It is a big deal to me because I commute on a motorcycle, and live very near the Pacific Ocean. The evening air can get very cold and damp, and it's very hard for me to breathe it in my helmet. I don't suffer panic from it. If you are having panic attacks, you may also be suffering from benzo withdrawal. See my earlier post about winding up in the ER due to stopping valium too quickly. I'm now back on it, and have started my first taper by reducing by only 1mg from my daily dose of 6mg. Be very careful if you are taking valium. It does what it's supposed to do, but you're literally holding a tiger by the tail, and it does bite. Don't even think of cold turkeying this stuff. I've also read bad news about cold turkeying effexor.

G

·
It's in the literature. It is a big deal to me because I commute on a motorcycle, and live very near the Pacific Ocean. The evening air can get very cold and damp, and it's very hard for me to breathe it in my helmet. I don't suffer panic from it. If you are having panic attacks, you may also be suffering from benzo withdrawal. See my earlier post about winding up in the ER due to stopping valium too quickly. I'm now back on it, and have started my first taper by reducing by only 1mg from my daily dose of 6mg. Be very careful if you are taking valium. It does what it's supposed to do, but you're literally holding a tiger by the tail, and it does bite. Don't even think of cold turkeying this stuff. I've also read bad news about cold turkeying effexor.

G

·
I often have the sensation of being unable to draw a deep, satisfying breath. My doc told me that it is a symptom of anxiety, at least in my case, and I believe he is correct. Of course, it could also be a symptom of a multitude of other things, as folks have pointed out.

G

·
I often have the sensation of being unable to draw a deep, satisfying breath. My doc told me that it is a symptom of anxiety, at least in my case, and I believe he is correct. Of course, it could also be a symptom of a multitude of other things, as folks have pointed out.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The feeling of not being able to get a full breath of air is the feeling I get when my asthma flairs. Have you asked your doctor if it might be asthma?Interestingly enough, asthma presents differently in women then in men and therefore gets missed often times. If you can get a hold of a Reader's Digest there was an excellent article about this either last month or two months ago.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.