Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Bring back Motofen!

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Macaroni 
#1 ·
This is the only med I have found that works for me for ibs-d and it works quickly. I feel like it would stop and slow everything down in 10 minutes. Taking this was the only way I felt confident going on an airplane or bus. I know Sebela (678-736-5200) purchased the drug from Valeant and still has not produced it. I don't know if people calling would encourage them to move it along quicker. Any ideas?

#2 ·
I'm thinking the same thing, Steve.

I know they'll be producing it because they specifically bought the patent and they specialize in gastro-intestinal issues. I thought I heard that they would be gearing up and producing by the first of next year. Rumors, rumors, rumors.

#3 ·
I've talked to Sebela several times and they have said that it should be ready for market by October 2016. Macaroni - I hope your date is more accurate than mine.I do think that persistent calling could help with expediting the process of bringing motofen to market-it can't hurt. When I hear anything different I will post that information on this site.

#4 ·
Thank you for the update.

I am a big believer in phone calls. When Valeant owned the rights to Motofen, I had my own contact there and we knew each other by name. She kept me updated.

They don't know me by name (yet) at Sebela.

For everyone who isn't familiar with Motofen, this is from Wikipedia:

Motofen is approximately 2 to 4 times more effective in treating symptoms (of IBS) than Lomotil."

I still have some tucked away that I take on important occasions.

#9 ·
I have been calling about twice a month for over a year . The date for public availability is still October 2016. I hope that Sebela will market Motofen with an all out campaign . Most gastro doctors aren't aware of motofen and its effectiveness with IBS.If I hear anything new I will definitely post it on this forum.

#12 ·
That's a tough question: codeine vs Motofen. Funny, but I've never really compared the two - and I've taken a lot of both of them...and they both work great. I guess I have never compared them because most doctors won't prescribe codeine. And, until Motofen went off the market, it was a blessing and solved everything for me. Codeine became my choice and worked well for me after Motofen was no longer available, After 50 years, I was completely normal again with Motofen. But, also, because I am an old guy, I found it easier to get codeine when Motofen went away. The doctors are all so young, I basically say, "Look, my friend, I'm an old guy, I know how my body works - don't lecture me. I'll lecture you, if that's what you want. I'll bring you my history of everything I have taken for my IBS for the last 50 years - and I have the RX receipts to prove it...not just a list. And this was a long time before they even knew what IBS was! At first, it was considered a woman's psychological disease. Not so good for me as a young man at the time! About 2 years ago, I truly announced in the lobby of a doctor that I demanded my co-pay back because his advice was worthless and he knew nothing about the subject of IBS. I completely understand that we are all ignorant of many things (I certainly am), but the "doctor syndrome", where they think their words and thoughts come from a special magical place, is ridiculous. I told him if he was ignorant about IBS, to not be ashamed and to simply refer me to someone who was more knowledgable. (I don't think doctors are used to being 'brought down' to our level.)

But, interestingly, I actually think Motofen works better than codeine. And, again, as I've said before, it's not the cure for everyone. Everyone's solution will be different. Something that kills me is when someone starts a thread with "I've found the cure!!" Not, "I've found what works for me." Believe me, there are as many different solutions to IBS as there are people that are stuck with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.