Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi allHave had IBS-D for around 10 years now and although it has improved over the years i still get very bad when going out somewhere (particuly if i do not know where i am going)In June i am going on a stag long weekend to Brussels. The trip entails meeting at Waterloo station (London, UK) to catch the 07:40 train to Brussels. I am much much worse in the mornings and to get to london to catch this train i will have to be out the house by 5am ish. I am dredding it!Then of course the 2.5 hr train journey and at the other end having to get a tram or walk to the hotel.It's not like i am going with my understanding girlfriend who is really good. I am going with a bunch of blokes who some i do not know. Yes if i explain it to them individually they may understand (a little) but this is a bunch of lads on a drinking weekend! I do not drink much at all because of IBS, definately not in a strange city.I don't even know what i'm asking, guess i just wanted to chat with people who really understands the problems.Has anyone ever been to Brussels? Any info you can tell an IBS suffering traveller?Anyone got any tips?I actually really dont want to go but the stag is for a best friend and would feel like i am really letting him down if i don't!Cheers for listening!Matt

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi, I totally understand how you fell about traveling. If at all possible you should try to have someone drive you to the train station, I always feel a lot calmer when someone else is driving. Does the train have washrooms on it? I am curious about this one since I will be traveling in Italy in may and will use the train system which is probably similar in all of Europe. Try not to eat trigger foods the day before you leave, and maybe try immodium (i haven't tried it yet but I have a presentation to give on wed. so I am going to try it tonight). Also, if you can try to stay within walking distance of your hotel in case wherever you go does not have a washroom. Hope you have a symptom free trip!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for the reply.Driving to the train station is out as it is in central london. Will get a lift to the local station and then will take about 1.5 hours from there to get to the main station to get the eurostar.Imodium does work for me but if i take it the night before i wont go at all in the morning which i like to do before i go out. Maybe that is a mentality thing for me but if i have gone just before leaving the house i feel i ca go further without worrying about going again (does not always work)Would love to stay in near to the hotel but where we go is not down to me i'm afraid.Cheers for your advice.Matt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.