Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I'm so glad to find a place where there are people who understand what I am going through. My family has all but given up on me. This IBS/C has totally ruined my life. I can't travel with the fam without having the vacation ruined by constipation or stressing about the constipation. If I don't go everyday, I stress about it and not only that, I get what I call a bubble on my left flank. It feels like trapped gas or worse and the pain is referred all the way down my leg. I obsess about going everyday now and even when I DO go, I begin to worry about tomorrow. I never used to be like this. It has ruined my life. I take Zelnorm. Amitiza makes me feel horrible and doesn't always work. I drink prune juice (8 oz glass) most mornings and eat apricots. If I don't go, I am so miserably bloated, I can't go anywhere. Is anyone else this obsessed? I HAVE to stop stressing like this. I have lost so much weight I am down to a size 2 from a size 8 and now my hair is falling out!!!! I have seen all sorts of docs, had CT scans, etc. DX is IBS/constipation and stress (DUH! The stress is from the constipation. I live in fear that my hubby will surprise me with a trip somewhere because my first thought is, "OH NO! How will I go to the bathroom!" This is so sad. Has anyone else been driven this nuts? NOGO

·
Registered
808 Posts
yes, I dont like to travel anywhere and in fact, except to my dads, I dont go- my hubby takes kids to NY in summer to see grandma but I stay home- she doesnbt have any fans in bathrooms and that makes me nuts too. if I dont stay on my routine and do my thing and drink my own water iM messed up and I too obsess. youre not alone!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nogo,in reading your post, I felt like I was hearing my own words! I have the exact same thing. I am now a size 0 or 1 and I am 5 foot 9! It's unbelievable how miserable I am. I live to cater to my bowel movements, and I can only ever go in the mornings (and they are always small and incomplete and cause pain and bloating afterwards). Eating increases the bloating pain, and I have incredible gas all day. Nothing seems to help. I am going to see my doctor again tomorrow to look into new anti-depressants.All this is to say that I feel your pain, and am sending you all the warm thoughts and support that I can.

·
Registered
113 Posts
quote:Originally posted by nogo:Hi, I'm new to this forum and I'm so glad to find a place where there are people who understand what I am going through. My family has all but given up on me. This IBS/C has totally ruined my life. I can't travel with the fam without having the vacation ruined by constipation or stressing about the constipation. If I don't go everyday, I stress about it and not only that, I get what I call a bubble on my left flank. It feels like trapped gas or worse and the pain is referred all the way down my leg. I obsess about going everyday now and even when I DO go, I begin to worry about tomorrow. I never used to be like this. It has ruined my life. I take Zelnorm. Amitiza makes me feel horrible and doesn't always work. I drink prune juice (8 oz glass) most mornings and eat apricots. If I don't go, I am so miserably bloated, I can't go anywhere. Is anyone else this obsessed? I HAVE to stop stressing like this. I have lost so much weight I am down to a size 2 from a size 8 and now my hair is falling out!!!! I have seen all sorts of docs, had CT scans, etc. DX is IBS/constipation and stress (DUH! The stress is from the constipation. I live in fear that my hubby will surprise me with a trip somewhere because my first thought is, "OH NO! How will I go to the bathroom!" This is so sad. Has anyone else been driven this nuts? NOGO
I have a very similar experience.Zelnorm doesn't really seem to do anything besides make the stool softer and my parents are like "YOU MUST TAKE THE DAMN ZELNORM 3 TIMES A DAY OR YOU WILL BE CONSTIPATED."They do not understand that there is more to constipation and IBS in general than just taking a pill everyday or drinking water. In fact, MOST of the doctors do not even understand that.the main problem with IBS is that all the tests come out negative. So when the doctors say there is nothing wrong ith you, they label you as IBS.So IBS can really be translated into "in your head."And that is what your family will think.From your experience it does look like you are more paranoid than me.You should defintely consider take a more powerful laxative. Have you ever tried Miralax, Glyconex, Milk of Magnesia. Those things will make you go....Best of Luck

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my doctor won't let me take miralax because he says that is the 'super strong stuff' and they want to reserve it for crucial times...such as 'cleaning' out before a surgery or something. I have tried stronger laxatives and they do work for the most part, but I am worried about getting so dependent on them. NOt only that, but the cramping and gas I get from those things absolutely destroys me. I get unbelievably bloated for hours before anything takes effect. If I take it at night, I'm up all night in absolute misery. nogo

·
Registered
113 Posts
Miralax isn't really that strong.....I took it for about 4 months last year and it didn't really help me that much.Right now I am taking Glycolax, and that is helping a bit more.Zelnorm makes the stool more bulky, but it doesn't really in any way help constipation, not for me at least.I would try using Milk of magnesia, Enema, or other very powerful methods over the weekend to clear everything out.At least you would feel good if you took the Magnesia Friday night before you went to bed or an Enema when you woke up on Saturday morning.I am also going to try a probiotic and see if that does anything...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am the exact same way. I think about it every moment of every day. people in my life truely dont understand. my job has me traveling and i can say that this month has been the WORST in my life. I am near tears right now. I took 2 sennkots earlier and hope they work in the am. I am in such pain right now.I have been eating so poorly and i am just at my whits end. I go in for a colonoscopy in January but i dont think they will find anything. I have been suffering for 10 years and i just cant take it much more.it truely is ruining my life.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.