Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
before having a bm i get a lot of gas. its like a prerequisite for having a bm. and then i noticed that my stool will have these tiny little bubbles floating out of it. is this normal for ibsers? i know this is TMI and i apologize to whoevers sensitive to that.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Gas trapped in stool and farting before a BM can also happen to perfectly healthy people who don't have IBS.Just depends how much gas you have and even healthy people have more than enough gas to fart and often when the stool gets pushed to the end the gas goes with it and pretty much everyone has some gas trapped in the stool that may bubble out once it is in the toilet. You do not need IBS to have that happen, but often people don't pay much attention until they have IBS.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx so much Kathleen!i was sure it meant something like that i had exceptional amounts of gas producing bacteria or whatever, and that it would help me figure out how to solve the whole gas situation. but in a way its nice to know that something about my gi system is still normal!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Generally there are two ways to reduce gas volume.1. Feed the bacteria less bacteria food. (limit starches and sugars no human digests and limit specific compounds you happen to not digest or absorb).2. Add probiotics as those bacteria do not completely digest carbs all the way to gas. They stop before they break it down that far.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmm i really have to try those changes in my diet. i have to be brave enough to reintroduce some fear foods first though or ill be way too limited. is pentasa or align a probiotic? because those did nothing at all for me. is there any you would recommend? thanx!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Align is a probiotic. Some people have to try a couple of brands to find one that works. VSL#3, Culturelle, and Digestive Advantage are some other brands you could try.Pentasa is a drug to supress the immune system.http://www.endowsec.com/pated/edtgs12.htm has a low flatus diet. Steamed Rice and Chicken Breast are usually things people aren't too scared to eat.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much kathleen. As usual, your answer has been very helpful! i did some research on the probiotics and im going to start with Culturelle. im glad to have something new to try.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.