Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

So I am pretty new to this group, and I could use some help in trying to get this IBS-D under control.

I am trying to figure out which over-the-counter drugs have any bulk-forming compounds in them. The reason I ask is because, when I was in Sweden for my study abroad, I found out about this over-the-counter medicine called Inolaxol. I had been having stomach problems since October, and when I found these in May the next year and used em, my stomach finally stopped being so crazy. I would have the occasional bad poop, but as long as I ate healthy and took my dosage I was totally fine. These were the granules, by the way, not the powder. I used to take them with some A-fil, and sometimes with Activia and other times with water only.

Now, Inolaxol has this compound called Karaya gum in it, also known as sterculia. According to my research, this ingredient expands when it is soaked, so that's what adds bulk to the stools. I think insoluble fiber also works the same way, if I am not mistaken, but I haven't had as much luck with insoluble fiber. So what I am trying to do is figure out what other compounds/ ingredients work the same way as Karaya gum. I have found some products that have this compound in it but they're sold online and they're bit expensive for me to be buying constantly (they're sold in Canada and the UK I think so importing them is expensive).

In the whole time I have been trying to deal with this IBS-D, nothing has worked as well as Inolaxol. It really was a miracle. Sadly, I am not in Sweden and can't buy it anymore, so that's why I am trying to find some way to get it. But if you somehow can get Inolaxol, I suggest you try it and see if it works for you. It really slowed down my suggestion, which is nice because otherwise it is painful coming out :/ So yeah. If anyone could help with this I would appreciate it. If not, I hope I at least gave someone a different drug to try.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Sounds promising! I saw a few sites that carry it (Karaya gum) on Amazon. Wouldn' have any idea of how much to take though...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.