Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow suffers, just a quick one. Do many of you burp a lot with ibs? Aside from all the common issues downstairs I've noticed I burp regularly. Not sure if this is normal. Thinking it's trapped air coming back up as I get no heartburn, acid or pain just feels like an air bubbles stuck around the top of the throat. Happens more when I eat which seems obvious and also if I'm bending over alot . Googling indicated that ibs causes more burping, comments would be much appreciated.

· Registered
124 Posts
Not as often as gas coming down below.
But yes, I did have some burping episodes (rare) during my IBS.
I actually started my first large digestive upset with burping just a few months prior to my IBS officially starting (IBS-d and multiple instantaneous food intolerances that would persist for years).

I had eaten 1/3 of a small/medium cantaloupe (a lot, I know).
Maybe 20 minutes after consumption I started burping. It went on till I went to sleep that day (not sure if I had it the next day as well).
But that cantaloupe caused hours of non-stop burping, my mom thought I was rude. I laughed at first b/c I thought it was funny, but then I was less happy when it lasted hours. I did not eat cantaloupe for years later...

I didn't know that my IBS would come months later. It was my first warning to the onset of food intolerances.

I would prefer burping to farting honestly.. I think there's a higher probability that it smells less bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts