Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone been asked out to a business lunch, particularily in an interview process? If so what did you do about it. I am starting interviews soon, and I was told there will be a good chance of being taken out to lunch. I have altered my diet alot to control my IBS but it is always very awkward for me to eat out. If anyone has any suggestions, or how you cope with it, that would be great.Thanks

·
Registered
254 Posts
My best suggestion is to schedule the interview in the morning or afternoon, not around lunch time. I've interviewed and have been interviewed many times over the years (I've worked in I/T for 20 years). Usually, the employer can be flexible...everyone has schedules and appointments. If the potential employer can't find a time before 11am or after 1pm for several given interview dates within a week, you probably don't want to work there anyway - their workload is so overwhelming that they can only meet during their lunch time? Off topic - I once interviewed for a project management job. I arrived a little early and was left in the hiring managers office. A good way to understand your potential new boss and environment is to look at their office. It was a total mess, no personal items though they were married/had children and the calendar on the wall was 3 months behind the current date. It didn't look good. Then the manager showed up and we had to take a break during the 45 minute interview for a project conference call on major issues. I was offered the job but turned it down and later heard many people churned through that position.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is a topic of interest to me as well. Next year I will be going through the interview process to become a university professor. The majority of interviews at that level are multi-day interviews - you drive/fly to the city and are hosted for a day and a half to go through various meetings, presentations, interviews, social events, etc. I'm not too worried about the "getting there" part of it, because I usually don't have problems during trips (it's the before and after that always gets me!), but the spending a day and a half in "interview" mode, knowing how nervous I'm going to be, is already worrying me a bit. Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the tip ZigZag. If I have to opportunity to schedule my own interview I will try to make it early. Most of the interviews I will have no control over when they are though. I forgot to explain the situation. I am finishing school, and these interviews are for my work placement. They are being set up through our profs. when it is most convenient for them, and a good deal could take place out of town. Like tchr73 mentioned, some of these interviews could be an all day event, starting in the morning.Thanks for the advice, and any more would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Immodium. Cork it. A funny thing happens to me. It seems whenever I am going on a long vaction I get D REALLY BAD!! I started taking Immodium and I found it helps for the most part. It normaly works for about 3 days. 3 days of peace!Also, before a rock concert i get really upset. My wife and I went to see Clapton last year. I had D at home before we left, D at the show, and D after. There I was stuck in after show traffic having to go BAD! If I would have taken immoduim before it, I would have had a better time. We are going to see Billy Joel soon. Immdium will be on hand!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Food digestive enzymes are a wonderful dietary aid to help you properly break down food in the gut. Take one before you meet for lunch. Also, remember that anxiety plays a key role as to how the gut responds so take deep breaths to calm down before you eat in front of strangers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.