Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey does anyone get 'butterflies' from their IBS. Thats probably the worst part because it gets pretty painful and feels almost like a valid responce to a stressful situation. but I could just be watching tv or anything non stress-full and then there it is. I tried taking malox but that doesnt really work to well and its very temporary. Im rambling...any ideas people?Dave

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
I'm not sure anyone knows what is causing or even where the "butterflies" are. They are not related to IBS or for all we know even related to the intestine.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I don't get butterflies exactly. I would say butterflies are more in the actual stomach? IBS is usually the bowel, but it sure seems to effect the whole digestive tract. I get heartburn and nausea. Butterflies are usually attributed to nervousness, like before going on stage for example. IBS is where the nerves are not functioning smoothly, where we experience pain and a normal person would not, the pain is registered in an area of the brain where a normal person blocks the pain. Stress really sets my IBS off. So it kinda makes sense to me that if IBS makes you feel more pain in the bowel, that you probably feel more pain in the rest of your digestive tract too.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Butterflies....such lovely creatures in the garden, not so great in the stomach. I've always thought they felt more like nervousness, flutters in the stomach. Not sure what causes them or what makes them go away.Would drinking hot tea help?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I take them as a sign of stress. they may not cause my IBS problems but they can be an early warning sign as stress is a big trigger for me. and I don't have to necessarily feel stress in any other overt way either. sometimes it's just cumulative. I used to take maalox or other things like that but find I'm much better off using techiniques I developed with hypno. not only do the symptoms get better, I feel more control (which of course helps everything).

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Those butterflies in your stomach are not just in your mind
I have wonder whether this is really true, and I'm not yet convinced that anyone has demonstrated this.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Butterflies are physical sensations, maybe with origins in the mind. You can actually feel them hitting your stomach. They go back and forth hiting one part of the wall after another. flux, don't tell me you haven't ever felt butterflies. If by questioning if it is in the mind, you are wondering if they are not imaginary. They are physical sensations.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
"If by questioning if it is in the mind, you are wondering if they are not imaginary" should read,"If by questionising if it is in the mind, you are wondering if it is imaginary, then rest assured. It is not imaginary. Butterflies are physical sensations"

·
Registered
96 Posts
i get those butterflies just before my usual ibs-d symptoms of cramps, gas bloating, urgency and need for BM kick in. i think it could be caused by the brains antisapation for the ibs symptoms. for me they are like nervous flutters but i'm not nervous for any particular reason. they get worse when i am nervous thou.i hypno may be the solution to controlling this since its seems to be linked to the overall nervous symptom. may give it a go

·
Registered
56 Posts
flux says that 'butterflies' are subjective, but not a symptom of IBS.If 'butterflies' are subjective then they may indeed be a symptom of IBS, but neither I nor flux can make that determination for someone else, almost by definition. But lets get real.The feeling of 'butterflies' in the 'stomach' of course is related to anxiety, as commonly understood. Anyone who speaks publicly knows what I mean. IBS is believed (by credible authority) to be correlated with anxiety. So, while 'butterflies' in the 'stomach' may not be a symptom of IBS, they may be positively correlated.

·
Registered
280 Posts
the only butterflies I get are usally gas. However when i get nervous I get all flushed and my face feels like it's on fire. I had to go to a new doctor and I was so nervous that when they took my tempeture it was 103. After I was there and talking to her I calmed down and so did my tempeture. Anyone else get like this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I described the 'butterflies' as a trembling in my guts and my GI told me it was just spazing. He said there was nothing to worry about. Honestly when I get them it makes me nervous and then I get the tummy flutters!! Go fig.
I've never gotten a temp from anxiety, I usually get pale and nausiated. Mabey it was a fight/flight responce, or a responce to increased heart rate.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Butterflies are physical sensations, maybe with origins in the mind. You can actually feel them hitting your stomach.
You are the first person to report this as far as I know. It certainly has never been reported in the medical literature and would be a major discovery if true. I don't think what people refer to as butterflies have anything to do with the gut per se, but it would be very difficult to test (that is for a sensory event in the gut) even if you could get someone to have butterflies on command.
quote:I described the 'butterflies' as a trembling in my guts and my
I'm inclined to think whatever you are both describing are not what people are thinking about when they use the term butterflies. I think butterflies are most closely associated with what one feels when someone scratches a blackboard. Now does anyone know what the hell that is?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I had temp of 102 with my severe bout of IBS.ERIC, thanks for the article. Fascinating stuff. What do you know about toxins in food damaging your "gut brain". I'm thinking of having my soils tested for heavy metals where I've grown vegetables this summer. It just seems too coincidental that I have never had such a "gut response" in all my life until eating these home-grown vegies. don't know what is in the soils, but Kell029 (or similar name) was saying how heavy metal in the environment have damaged our guts and the flavenoids (green tea etc) helps with that. Don't know if there is any evidence to substantiate that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.