Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,I just had surgery, laproscopically, last friday night...to removes adhesions causing bowel obstructions. Prior to that I was having tests in the hospital and was on 2 antibiotic meds by intravenous for 9 days; one was called Cipro, one was called Flagell...My spelling may be incorrect.I was released Sunday and have not felt well. Feeling really weak, lousy, sickly, no temp even tho I feel like I have one....Today my Dr. said all the antibiotics may have killed the good bacteria and something called C_Deficile (spelling?) may have taken over....I have brought in a sample to culture, and am awaiting word. Has anyone out there had this? How did it make you feel and what did the Dr. do to correct it?....and how long did it take you to feel better?Hollie

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Hi Holly:Jeff Roberts, our Board moderator, had problems with C Diff a while back, and actually set up another forum in Mediboard for information on this. You can get to MediBoard by clicking on it at the top of this screen, to the right.If you don't want to go through all the clicks, the direct URL to that forum is: http://www.mediboard.com/cgi-local/ubbcgi/...e=20&LastLogin= Anyway, there is a lot of very good detailed information that he and Fatigued (now Un-Fatigued) put in there. Both are very knowledgeable about it.I'm sure Jeff and UnFatigued will see your post and respond. I personally don't know anything about it myself. If you do post on the other forum, you might want to note here that you have, so they can see it.Hope this helps.
JeanG

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your help and input. I visited the sites...and learned more.Oddly enough I was on Cipro and Flagyl for 9 days pre suregery, and now out of the hosp, on no meds, I have had liquid stools and not a lot of cramps or pain...except where the surgeon did the work....However, I feel wiped, weak, no energy, no interest in anything, no fever despite my teeth chattering and just punky all over. I feel like I do when I have a fever yet I don't have one. I am awaiting the results of the culture....am wondering if those of you who have had this felt crummy all over in adition to having diarrhea or liquid stoolsHollie.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Holly,I had chronic diarrhea for 7 months after being misdiagnosed with IBS. It started after a round of Cipro.I was never tested for C. Diff because I was like you, so dreadfully sick, they didn't take the time to test me. So they diagnosed me with Antibiotic Associated Diarrhea. I took Flagyl and acidophilus for 5 weeks (in a tapering dose) and have been back to my old self for 2 weeks now. Keep in mind, relapses are possible.I was horribly fatigued (hence my old name), weak, dizzy and nauseated. I lost 35 lbs over the 7 months. My life came to a screeching halt. Along the way I started drinking Gatorade a few times a day, and it really helped with the fatigue.And now I am,Un Fatigued

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Hollie -- I am sincerely wishing you well. UnFatigued -- How much acidophilus have you been on with your Flagyl?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Oops, Hollie, sorry I spelled your name wrong.
Jan, The Doc told me to take 2 a day while on the Flagyl. But this is interesting:While I was on my trip home for Dad's surgery, I ran out of Culturelle and couldn't find any. So I dashed to Walmart and picked up the only other Lactobacillus type acidophilus I could find. It's made by Spring Valley and has much less critters in it, but I continued to take only 2 a day. I actually improved even more with this new acidophilus at $3.00 a bottle. That's what I am taking now, and so far so good. I still recommend the Culturelle while you are taking Flagyl, though.I'm still living on Gatorade and acidophilus and doing great! Oh, and I quit losing weight. Well, that was more info than you asked for!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all again,Thanks for your replies. Per the MD, I have started the acidopilus tablets 3 X per day while I await the culture results. One of my friends told me to go with the powder, not the tablets...she uses Natren...any idea why dry powder is better than tablets (softgels?)...she told me after I had bought the tablets...I am feeling more human.....and if I do have C difficile, it hasn't been too long.....I started the Cipro and Flagyl by IV, 2 weeks ago today when I was hospitalized for bowel obstruction. I felt fine until the day after I left the hospital (after my surgery which was 1 week ago today.)I told myself I felt crummy because they removed an ovary along with the repairs and it never occured to me that I could be ill until I went to the Dr. and they suspected C difficile. Now my question is, if the culture is positive and if I do have C difficile, will they give me more Flagyl AS WELL AS the Acidophilus to take at the same time? I have been told to eat only plain Vanilla Yougurt and drink Gator Ade.Thanks Hollie

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hollie,Yes, the chances are good that what they will give you is Flagyl if you have C. Diff. There is another one they give called Vancomycin, but it is very expensive and is usually used if the Flagyl does not work. I felt kind of yucky while on the Flagyl, but it was well worth the results I got from it!Here is the dosages they gave me:10 days, 250mg x3 a day. Was improved, but symptoms started to return within a week. So then I was given 2 weeks at 250mg x2 a day, then lowered to 2 weeks at 250mg x1 a day.Keep in mind I had this AAD for 7 months, so it was pretty well implanted in my system. It might not take as long if your symptoms have been with you only a short time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts