Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33,934 Posts
It is a test used for detecting colon cancer.Couldn't find what the intials stand for probably colon ------ antigen, but that's just a guess.It looks like it is mostly used for recurrences of colon cancer rather than general population screening (apparently the values normal people have vary, and so taking it before you treat for colon cancer and after treating for colon cancer gives you a good idea if it came back).Since they saw a something, but they don't know what the something is it sounds like it makes sense to find out as much as possible prior to doing something invasive.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
10,337 Posts
quote:Couldn't find what the intials stand for probably colon ------ antigen, but that's just a guess.
carcinoembryonic antigen. (I'd guess that it could be abnormal in other carcinomas (epithelial tissue cancers).------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.

·
Registered
33,934 Posts
Each blood test looks for different things.CEA is probably not something they do routinely.Depending on what you are looking for the blood must be treated certain ways. That is why sometimes when they take blood they will take several vials with different caps on them. Each cap indicates a different agent (or no agent) is in the vial. Some of the things used for one test can interfer with a different test.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.