Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

C Problem....Not To Be Nosey, But What's The Longest Time You've Been C??

466 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  babydoc_au 
#1 ·
Sorry if I am overposting, but I had a lot of questions today, hope you all don't mind!!I used to be 99% D. So this flipping back and forth between D & C has me really confused.I was wondering, what is the longest time you all have gone before you finally got some relief?? I'm on day 4, and starting to feel very uncomfortable. I know that Denise posted about her little girl having this problem and that she was finally able to get some relief after a few days. Never thought I'd say this, but I actually wouldn't MIND D at this point, just so I could feel better!! What's been the longest span for you all, and how long is TOO long to wait??

#3 ·
Even though I am a C-type I usually "go" everyday...at least a little bit.
Of course that is because I am constantly taking things to make me go. If I didn't take anything, I would probably go weeks on end without going. Anyway since you are mainly a "D" type with constipation thrown in once in a while, I would not suggest any harsh laxatives, but I would suggest taking some magnesium at the first sign of "C". That oughta get things moving for you. It is perfectly safe to take 400 Milligrams of Magnesium a day, but you might need less. You could start with 200 milligrams and see how it goes. Either magnesium oxide or magnesium citrate are good to use. Oops, I also wanted to add that since you are now swinging back and forth from "D" to "C", I would also suggest that when you are in the "D" mode, don't take Immodium, because Immodium shuts down your intestines, which can actually cause the "C". Maybe you could take calcium when in the "D" mode and Magnesium when in the "C" mode and this might help to balance things out.------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)[This message has been edited by Rose (edited 05-13-2001).]

#5 ·
Wow......I thought 4 days was bad, YIKES
!! Sounds like you all have REALLY had trouble with C, I'm so sorry
How do you manage it?? I am normally D, so this has me so confused. I don't know exactly what to do when I get C. Laxatives really hurt my stomach, and I'd almost rather stay C than go through that. Metamucil is about 50/50 with me...sometimes it works, sometimes not. But it ALWAYS gives me G
So I don't always take it either. Here's another interesting question...do you continue to eat when you are C for that long?? I'm only on day 4, and I'm thinking that I probably shouldn't be eating ANYTHING, because I don't want to make things worse. This might be a gross question, but what happens to all that food when you go for weeks and weeks with C? And does it make you hurt worse to keep eating? I have been fasting today, and I'm sooooooo hungry. To the point of feeling like I am going to puke. I want to eat, but I'm kinda scared to... How do yall handle that??

#6 ·
I am a c and I would never let myself get over 5 days of c. I think it is pretty dangerous to get stuck for over a week.You have to keep eating, even when you have c, as intake of food is needed to stimulate peristalsis (movement of bulk in the intestines). This is providing you don't have an obstruction (indicated by pain and vomitting), when you shouldn't eat at all until it is cleared.Have you tried persisting with the fibre supplement and adding some magnesium when you become c? If you try doing the same thing for a while your bowel might get into more of a normal routine. I think this is the key for managing alternating c and d.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.