Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have been reading this message board for quite a while now, but have just now registered. I have gotten a lot of good advice and it has been nice to know that I am not the only one who suffers from IBS.I just wondered if anyone else can relate to this situation or has any input. I am 24 years old now and have suffered from IBS, type C and D mixed, probably since I was maybe 16, I think. (It got worse over time) I have tried many different remedies with no luck. I saw a posting on the message board about some trigger foods and Soda was listed. I decided to stop drinking my 2-3 cokes a day. This seemed to help tremendously. I had an attack about once every 2 weeks on average after that, compared to maybe 2 times a week. Not long after that, I got married and we decided to try to have a baby. I stopped taking birth control pills (which I have been taking since I was about 16) This has been 2 1/2 months and I have not had an attack or any symptoms of IBS since then. I feel like it is too good to be true. Can the pill have been causing it in any way? Or is it caffeine or carbonation? I am afraid to have a soda in fear that it will bring on an attack. All I drink now is water and an occasional kool-aid. It has been so wonderful to not have to fear what I eat though. Any input would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

· Registered
287 Posts
I believe that my IBS started when I began taking the birth control pill. I am now trying not taking it to see if it makes things any better. I have only been doing it for two weeks so I can't really say yet. As far as caffeine goes....I do much better without it too. It was so hard to give up, but I feel better without it.Hope this helps some...Kim

· Registered
2,557 Posts
Hi Mel, welcome to the board now you've de-lurked yourself
I would say the carbonation and the caffeine were definately culprits. Perhaps the pill too as I've heard it can cause people problems. I'm 23 and my IBS started at age 15 but I've been on the pill too long to know how to evaluate its effect. Caffeine (excpet chocolate thank goodness) has bad effects on me and carbonated drinks make me very uncomfortable. Glad you found some relief from avoiding some things.------------------susanIBS D/C type & M.E/CFS

· Registered
880 Posts
Could be either one, or a combination of both. I have been on birth control pills twice, and off them for several years in between, and never noticed a difference with my IBS. However, my IBS started around age 15 or 16 but I didn't start birth control pills until I was 18, so the IBS was definately there first. There are many people on this BB with experiences like yours.But the caffeine, and lets not forget the 1/4 cup of sugar in each and every can, can also be a culprit. I wouldn't go back to drinking the soda, just to be on the safe side.

· Registered
211 Posts
IN my experience, the combination of caffeine and carbination was quite bad for my stomach. Eliminating Coke (as well as all other soft drinks) did result in a pretty big improvement for myself as well.My symptoms actually improved ON the pill because my PMS was not as bad, and my periods were lighter (they were very heavy and painful.. they still are somewhat, but not what they were)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.