Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I take excedrin for headaches and it always works well but it contains caffeine and it always causes my bowels to be very active a couple hours after I take it. The same thing does not happen with coffee or sodas though. Does anyone know if excedrin contains an excess amount of caffeine and do other people have trouble with caffeinated things?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I quit takin in any caffine about a year ago on the advice of a nurse at my GI's office. It made all my stabbing-stomache pains go away, and helped a little with the frequency of squirts. Give it a shot, it can't hurt! OH, but expect a headache for about a week after you quit caffine. It goes away though...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I quit takin in any caffine about a year ago on the advice of a nurse at my GI's office. It made all my stabbing-stomache pains go away, and helped a little with the frequency of squirts. Give it a shot, it can't hurt! OH, but expect a headache for about a week after you quit caffine. It goes away though...

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I don't drink coffee, caffinated teas or sodas, so the effects of caffiene are quite pronounced for me. Which is good since one of my migraine meds also has caffiene.That being said, I'm a C-type and after taking my migraine meds I'll have loose stools and minor cramping. It does clean me out a little bit. From what I remember, the excedrine migraine (not the reg. excedrine) has the equivalent of two cups of coffee worth of caffiene in each pill.Ty[This message has been edited by Ty (edited 10-12-2001).]

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I don't drink coffee, caffinated teas or sodas, so the effects of caffiene are quite pronounced for me. Which is good since one of my migraine meds also has caffiene.That being said, I'm a C-type and after taking my migraine meds I'll have loose stools and minor cramping. It does clean me out a little bit. From what I remember, the excedrine migraine (not the reg. excedrine) has the equivalent of two cups of coffee worth of caffiene in each pill.Ty[This message has been edited by Ty (edited 10-12-2001).]

·
Registered
185 Posts
Excedrin Migraine contains (per tablet):250 mg acetominophen250 mg aspirin 65 mg caffeineCoffee contains in the ballpark of 60-135 mg of caffeine per cup, and a 12 oz. Coke contains 35 mg.I personally think it's a bit bogus to put caffeine in a headache medicine, because a fair portion of the people suffering from headaches are in that situation in the first place due to overconsumption of caffeine followed by withdrawal symptoms.Given that IBS is characterized by spasms of the GI tract, and given that spasms are at their root caused by nervous system malfunction or overreaction, it seems a very poor idea for IBS sufferers to consume caffeine, because it is a nervous system stimulant.My IBS symptoms improved dramatically after eliminating modest levels of caffeine from my diet. A certain percentage of IBS folks might get the same benefit, who knows.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Excedrin Migraine contains (per tablet):250 mg acetominophen250 mg aspirin 65 mg caffeineCoffee contains in the ballpark of 60-135 mg of caffeine per cup, and a 12 oz. Coke contains 35 mg.I personally think it's a bit bogus to put caffeine in a headache medicine, because a fair portion of the people suffering from headaches are in that situation in the first place due to overconsumption of caffeine followed by withdrawal symptoms.Given that IBS is characterized by spasms of the GI tract, and given that spasms are at their root caused by nervous system malfunction or overreaction, it seems a very poor idea for IBS sufferers to consume caffeine, because it is a nervous system stimulant.My IBS symptoms improved dramatically after eliminating modest levels of caffeine from my diet. A certain percentage of IBS folks might get the same benefit, who knows.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I don't think I could go in the morning if it wasn't for 3-4 cups of very hot coffee (IBS-C type). Decaf doesn't do anything for me. I need high octane!

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I don't think I could go in the morning if it wasn't for 3-4 cups of very hot coffee (IBS-C type). Decaf doesn't do anything for me. I need high octane!

G

·
OMG, I can not get the day going without black coffee. The stronger the better. I probably drink two quarts of it a day. I really don't think it helps or hinders my IBS. Tomatoes and fruit juice seem to cause me the most problems. Black Coffee was one of my first drinks after abdomenal surgery last march. I can't imagine giving it up after 42 years.
------------------L.B.

G

·
OMG, I can not get the day going without black coffee. The stronger the better. I probably drink two quarts of it a day. I really don't think it helps or hinders my IBS. Tomatoes and fruit juice seem to cause me the most problems. Black Coffee was one of my first drinks after abdomenal surgery last march. I can't imagine giving it up after 42 years.
------------------L.B.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
awcfly - I think caffiene in migraine meds is great! I don't consume high quantities of caffiene (no coffee, only tea with no caffiene and no sodas), so that stuff works great!
Ty

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
awcfly - I think caffiene in migraine meds is great! I don't consume high quantities of caffiene (no coffee, only tea with no caffiene and no sodas), so that stuff works great!
Ty

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
The only pill that that triggers my IBS is Excedrine Migraine...I can drink soda's and be ok and chocolate and be ok...It has to be something else in those pills that sets me off to the potty------------------"If you always do what you have always did, You'll always get what you always got "

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
The only pill that that triggers my IBS is Excedrine Migraine...I can drink soda's and be ok and chocolate and be ok...It has to be something else in those pills that sets me off to the potty------------------"If you always do what you have always did, You'll always get what you always got "

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.