Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was diagnosed recently, my doctor told me to cut out tea and coffee for its caffeine product, but if i dont have any caffeine all day I get the most horrendous headache starting in the middle of the afternoon, and nothing will shift it.How have others coped?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Problem is, if you were a coffee/tea drinker before, then you will have caffein withdrawl headaches. They are a ######, but they will get eventually subside. Took me about a week, but when I get headaches I take extra strength excedrin, that stuff is a miracle pill.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Problem is, if you were a coffee/tea drinker before, then you will have caffein withdrawl headaches. They are a ######, but they will get eventually subside. Took me about a week, but when I get headaches I take extra strength excedrin, that stuff is a miracle pill.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I stayed away from caffeine for a long time because it would encourage D. Then the other day I was at a concert and was extremely thirsty and all they had left was Pepsi and no water. I took a chance and drank about 3/4 of a big bottle and then I didn't have any trouble. Go figure. Maybe after awhile your headaches will subside. Until then I guess aspirin and going to bed earlier??

·
Registered
601 Posts
I stayed away from caffeine for a long time because it would encourage D. Then the other day I was at a concert and was extremely thirsty and all they had left was Pepsi and no water. I took a chance and drank about 3/4 of a big bottle and then I didn't have any trouble. Go figure. Maybe after awhile your headaches will subside. Until then I guess aspirin and going to bed earlier??

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi there:I recently cut my coffee intake in half. I did this about two months ago.I use coffee as a means of inducing BMs. I feel much more bloated than I did before this weaning, and the overall symptoms of my IBS-C have worsened.However, I still think I may be doing a wise thing by cutting back -- and hopefully cuttting it out altogether.I have been relying on coffee over the years as a daily laxative, an antidepressant and an occasional pain killer. Seemed like I was developing some kind of tolerance to these "medicinal" side effectsI had found that I had been gradually increasing my caffeine intake over time to get the same effect. It was beginning to seem that coffee would eventually lose its effectiveness for the purposes I was using it. So I decided to begin weanning off it. I'm still feeling the effects of a 1/2 cutback two months after. But I'll try to stick it out.-Ira

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi there:I recently cut my coffee intake in half. I did this about two months ago.I use coffee as a means of inducing BMs. I feel much more bloated than I did before this weaning, and the overall symptoms of my IBS-C have worsened.However, I still think I may be doing a wise thing by cutting back -- and hopefully cuttting it out altogether.I have been relying on coffee over the years as a daily laxative, an antidepressant and an occasional pain killer. Seemed like I was developing some kind of tolerance to these "medicinal" side effectsI had found that I had been gradually increasing my caffeine intake over time to get the same effect. It was beginning to seem that coffee would eventually lose its effectiveness for the purposes I was using it. So I decided to begin weanning off it. I'm still feeling the effects of a 1/2 cutback two months after. But I'll try to stick it out.-Ira

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.