Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading posts for about a week now, and some of you have posted that your IBS symptoms come on after you drink coffee.Caffine is a stimulant to the muscles in the digestive tract. Caffine can cause diarrhea, heartburn, stomach pain, and gas. IBS suffers are very susceptible to the effects of caffine. Some IBS sufferers find that only 1 cup of coffee can set off their stomach symptoms.(This is from the book I.B.S. Relief) Anything containing caffine is referred to a "trigger" food for most people with IBS. And, caffine is also addictive.Everytime I used to drink coffee, even if it was only 1-2 cups a day, I'd have to run to the bathroom with cramps, and sometimes diarrhea. I'd also get heartburn.Since I've cut out most of the caffine from my diet(no coffee, no coke, no caffinated tea), I've noticed a big difference in my IBS symptoms. I don't get cramps or diarrhea as often, but I still get heartburn(decaf coffee and tea can also cause this symptom.) I really had problems cutting out most of the caffine in my diet, because I kept on craving the caffine, but now I am used to it, and I don't miss caffine at all. I hope I wasn't preaching too much. I'm just trying to help anyone with similar IBS symptoms to mine.Regards,ARS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dear ARS: Good point to mention. Don't worry you're not preaching, you're trying to help others and offer support. Drawers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You'll find similar info in the book 'Caffien Blues'. Funny, I don't seem to be bothered by Dr. Pepper, but am by coffee, even decafe coffee.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Luckily, I never liked the taste of coffee, but I do like a Coke once in a while. I haven't noticed a change if I cut out caffeine compared to if I don't. As with everything else, I think everyone has different trigger foods.Christine------------------
Smile, It makes people wonder what you have been up to!!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Let me add to that. I quit my usuall 3 large diet cokes per day 3 weeks ago. Not only have my symtoms been less severe, I have lost 12 lbs also. Little did I know how much water I was retaining becuase of the high sodium content. More water, more bloating, just wanted to pass the thought alone!!!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Yes I find that it works really well as a bowel stimulant especially if I add sugar. I am C and I drink coffee when I need help bringing on a bowel movement. Pop will sometimes help too! It is great for me but I do feel sorry for people who get diarrhea from it.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Do you think when it comes to soda it's just the caffine or maybe the soda in itself too? Just asking cause I've only been buying caffine free soda the last few weeks. It has made a huge difference but I wonder if soda in general is bad. I'm hooked on it so I don't know if I could quit soda completely yet. LOL
Jen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.