Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Calcium 101 For IBS Diarrhea

6K views 142 replies 26 participants last post by  GI Jane 
#1 ·
Calcium is an OTC supplement we all do not usually get enough of. No Rx needed to purchase this.When you take calcium about 40% of the dose gets to the bones the rest is elimanated in our waste. The calcium goes to the intestines and soaks up excess fluids and binds them together and they are gotten rid of in our waste.This is a process that can be continued by taking the calcium carbonate on a regular basis thus giving a more formed BM.There is calcium carbonate which helps us with diarrhea and there is calium citrate which is more easily absorbed by the body.A lot of the calcium supplements contain a 2 to 1 ratio of calcium to magnesium. Magnesium is not helpful for us with diarrhea only causing more in most cases.The dose to take is different for everyone. I must take 3 a day one at each meal and it does not make a difference if I take it before during or after just take it regularly.The most success has come for using any formula of calcium supplement that is like Caltrate 600 Plus with Vitamin D and Minerals in the purple and white box. I hope this will help anyone wishing to try it and I am always here to answer any questions for you. I have a lot of feed back form many users.There are other things to consider. If you take any other meds check the side effects and also check with the pharmacist to see it taking calcium will interfere with you other medications and how you might take them.The only side effect is at the beginning of taking the calcium you may have some gas or indigestion but this usually goes away soon after taking a regular dose for a few days as your body adjusts to the added calcium.Starting with 1/2 tablet doses with each meal will lessen this problem and it may be enough to control the diarrhea attacks without making you constipated. Constipation can be a problem so be carfuly not to take too much.The dose you take with your meal is not the dose that is helping you for that meal. It is the constant supply that is already in your body soaking up fluids in the intestines all the time as long as you keep some calcium going then it keeps working. Linda[This message has been edited by LNAPE (edited 08-16-2000).]

See less See more
#2 ·
Linda - thanks for all of your help! You really go out of your way to help the rest of us. I for one am very grateful. When I came to this board, I was so sick of the D and not going anywhere because I was scared, so your Caltrate postings were a godsend to me. (Also your personal e-mails!)Another Caltrate devoteeMarie

G
#5 ·
Add me to the list of those grateful for LNAPE's postings and e-mail. Linda, you are truly a wonderful person. Thank you.A word about calcium citrate (like Citracal): since it is more readily absorbed into the bloodstream, there is less available to bind to the stool (it's the UNabsorbed calcium that helps cure D). Therefore, stick with calcium carbonate. I found that out the hard way twice (DUH!). When I first tried taking calcium, I tried Citracal instead of Caltrate (until Linda e-mailed me and set me straight--thanks again, Linda). Then, more recently, I just plain forgot and started taking Citracal again. In the first case, I was just starting, so I thought the calcium wasn't effective. The second time, my D started coming back. When I went back to calcium carbonate, I got better again.So I have two data points that say calcium carbonate works better than calcium citrate. Not exactly double-blind scientific rigor, but enough to convince me.So if you want to try calcium for IBS-D, make sure it's calcium carbonate, like Caltrate or OsCal. And make sure you get the Caltrate in the purple-and-white box; that's the one without the magnesium.------------------Never give up! Never surrender!

G
#6 ·
LNAPE: Thank you for posting the calcium information! I have read numerous posts about calcium, but I did not know exactly what it did. I am currently taking Equalactin (calcium polycarbophil)-is this the same as Caltrate? If not, is Caltrate better?I find that Equalactin only helps with the "consistency" of what used to be D, now just loose. It does not help with the urgency to go or number of BMs a day though. Just like having D except with more filler in it.Should I try Caltrate? Thanks!

#7 ·
Tonsil,Thank your for the kind words and I hope things continue on a positive note for you as they still do for me.basalu,Equalactin is both for constipation and diarrhea. Taking the Calcium in my mind would be better and cheaper if you are having diarrhea as much as you still are. The calcium helps the urgency and the consistancy. Just remember to take it every day without fail and play with the dose until you get what is right for you. If you notice you are becoming a bit constipated just cut it back and that usually help in a shor time. DO not let yourself go too long if you are not having BM stop the calcium until you go the start with a smaller dose.Caltrate has other minerals in it and from the feed back I get it seems to be the most effective. DO email me if you like if you have more questions.calcium polycarbophil: I don't know just what the difference is but the calcium carbonate is the most effective in controling diarrhea.Linda

G
#8 ·
Lnape,Hello. I am new to this BB. I am suffering from IBS - D. It has been very severe lately. I cannot eat ANYTHING without tripping an attack. We had company this weekend and I had to excuse myself at least 4-5 times for that extended visit to the bathroom. I hate this. I don't know how to attack it. I have been reading about the calcium supplements in yours and other members posts. This seems like the common treatment. I bought Equalactin but noticed the same thing that everyone else did, it serves two masters. Where do I begin?Also, I am male. Will taking the calcium supps do any damage? I thought that women only needed calcium? I hate this...Its gross, embarassing, and uncontrollable. My wife is disgusted, by friends don't get it, and I am a big joke. I really hate this...help.S.D.

G
#9 ·
Calcium isn't just for women, men need it, too. The reason women are targeted by the commercials and such is because osteoporosis (bone density loss) is such a common in post-menapausal (sp?) women. But men need it just as much as women do.Stomachdemon, try the calcium. Get some Caltrate in the purple-and-white box or get some OsCal; they're pretty much the same thing. You should try taking 500mg (one tablet) with each meal to start. It should help within a couple of days.Equalactin and Caltrate are not the same thing. Equalactin (calcium polycarbophil) is a bulk-forming fiber supplement, as opposed to Caltrate, which is a straight mineral supplement. I find that they both help with D, and that it doesn't hurt to take them in combination. That's what I do: I take the OsCal with each meal, and if I feel some D coming on, I pop a couple of Equalactin. The only danger in doing this is you may take too much calcium and give yourself C. But if you learn to "listen" to your body, you'll be able to figure out what works for you.The other supplement I take to keep the D under control is l-glutamine. It's sold at GNC as "Super Glutamine Fuel". It's a big, white bottle with a black&green label full of white powder. I take 1/2 teaspoon dissolved in water 30 minutes before each meal. If I have just exercised, I'll up it to 1 teaspoon. There are several l-glutamine threads on this BB; you should check them out.Finally, it's important for everyone to get enough bulk (fiber) in their diet. The fiber makes the stools large and soft, so they don't irritate the colon. I take 3/4 teaspoon of PerDiem psyllium fiber (the kind WITHOUT the senna) with each meal. ------------------Never give up! Never surrender!

#10 ·
S.D.As Tonsil said calcium is needed by men and women you just here more about women because when they stop producing estrogen the bones can become a problem for them. Adding calcium helps this. Men also can get osteprosis also.I do believe if you try to take too many things at once you can not figure out which one is helping and if you need the other things or not to get you feeling better.You should check any side effects of any meds you are on first. This is a problem a lot of the times and you just don't know it.Then start with the Calcium taking 1 with each meal and it could give some gas or indigestion at first but this usually goes away in a few days as you adjust to the added calcium. If you want you can also start with 1/2 tablet at each meal to see if this is enough to control it. But if you are having it every day the you may want to go with 1 tablet at each meal and take something for indigestion if you get it which you may not.Email me if you have more questions. Once you get the diarrhea under control you can begin to eat better and get the fiber and nutrients from the food you eat.Linda

G
#11 ·
Also, when you are taking the Caltrate regularly, you might think that you are so much better that you don't need to take it anymore. Wrong assumption. Take at least one a day and watch your diet carefully. Like someone said---listen to your body as you can become constipated fairly easily and then you have a whole new set of problems....cut back on dairy products also. You might find the combination of Caltrate and the cut back will really help you. Also thank you Linda for your advice and knowledge.

G
#12 ·
Stomachdemon-I'm a male and been using calcium+minerals from Walgreens for IBS-D for two years and doing quite well. I read LNAPE's post about two years ago and followed her advice. The calcium also seemed to help with splitting fingernails. I just read that massive doses of calcium will help with weight loss. Anybody have any info on this?

G
#13 ·
I'm new and have been noticing alot of members writing about Caltrate. Since you seem to be quite familiar, I hope you can answer my question. My Dr. told me to take metamucil twice a day. Can I take the Caltrate instead of it or do I take both. To be honest, I'd much rather try Caltrate than Metamucil.Thanks for any information.

#14 ·
Summergirl,Thanks for the response and you are exactly listen to your body and adjust as needed with the calciu dose.TB,Nice to see you here again. You are right about the nails also I used to have my pinky finger nail just curl over on the out side but no longer and when I was a kid I smashed my finger and the nail always had kind of splits in it but no longer.Marcie,Fiber always made me worse so I suggest the calcium to see how you do. It has helped a lot of people with diarrhea.Take Care,Linda

G
#15 ·
Marcie:Everyone is different, so you have to find what works for you. If you find that calcium gives you C, I would recommend adding fiber. I'm not too fond of Metamucil because it has sugar or Aspartame in it, both of which give me gas. If you find you need a fiber supplement, I would recommend PerDiem, which has the same type of fiber as Metamucil (psyllium), but doesn't have to be mixed with water.------------------Never give up! Never surrender!

G
#17 ·
I just found this website today and am ever so thankful! This is the first that I have ever heard of taking Caltrate-D and am anxious to start taking it. I take 1/day since I am over 55, but not with meals. I know I should take at least 2, however, I just never got in the habit of taking it before bed. Recently I tried Lotronex, to no avail. I was so disappointed as I thought that this was going to be the answer for me and my FIFTY YEAR problems with IBS. This condition has just about ruined my life. I think twice about travel and job. I cannot get too far away from the restroom! At least I'm not alone.

#18 ·
Just FYI, it took Caltrate over 4 months to start working for my 5 years of D. I stuck with it, and am so glad I did. Still need to watch many trigger foods, but it has really helped. Don't give up on Caltrate quickly, you just might get a nice surprise down the road. Good luck everyone.

#19 ·
Hi, all -I have tried caltrate several times with no noticable results - just the same ole D. However, I am wondering if I did not take it long enough. Especially since Lucky Lou said it took four months for her. I probably just tried for a month at 1.5 pills per day.Do you think I should try again? It is so inspiring to read all of these success stories. I would love to be one of them and have my life back again. When I was at the Mayo Clinic Scottsdale in May, I told them about this IBS group and about the calcium rememdy hoping that they would suggest this to others who suffered. It was not in any of their IBS patient literature.Please advise! Thanks..

#20 ·
partypooper,I do think we have talked before and it may take more than 1.5 tablets to have success. I must that 3 full tablets a day to remain diarrhea free.Are you on any other meds we can check for their side effects. Let try it again and see if you can work it out. I am here to help if I can. Email is easier if you want to email me with questions and you progress or non progress. I have a lot of feedback and may be able to help you through it.We are all different and there can be a lot of variables in working out the right dose for you so I am here if you need me.Take Care,Linda

#21 ·
Hi, Linda -Thanks for the response. Yes, I would like your help in guiding me through this thing again.I am willing to try and stick with it for awhile this time.My e-mail is morgengel###cs.com if you want to e-mail me. I am not sure what your address is or I would write you directly.THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP AND CARING!Morgan

#22 ·
If you click on the envelope above you will get my email. It is one the date and time of posting line.Linda

#24 ·
Cglad,I have no experience with Lotronex but would be very glad to assist you if you need help with the calcium. Just email me.Take Care,Linda

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.