Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after reading through a few threads i have noticed alot of people are taking calcium and it seems to be really effective. is it? and would you recommend it? i am IBS-D and am sick to death of having my life controlled by my bowel so i need something!Also, has anyone else had any positive effect from Green tea? can you take both or just one or the other? sorry if im asking lots of questions, im just overwhelmed by the amount of support on this site! i am going away camping next weekend so toilet conditions arent great, is it worth starting calcium or green tea now or wait til after camping? is it one where it has to get worse to get better? Any help is greatly appreciated! thanx

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi I am not sure about calcium, but I have always been a fan of Green Tea. I am not really into other alternative solutions as I have tried alot and they dont seem to work. Green Tea I think is just a really good idea for your general health. I think it may help some people (including me) for their IBS

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi Holly, I think it's definitely worth giving calcium a try, I've been taking it for a few months and it does help on a day-to-day basis - I no longer have D every morning. It doesn't seem to help as much though when I get really anxious (holidays etc. when I still rely on Immodium) but I'd still recommend it.It should start taking effect quite quickly so I'd start taking it straight away, I haven't heard of it having any adverse effects on D (as long as you avoid Magnesium.) There's a thread somewhere from LNAPE who can give you all the details.Good luck with the camping!Love G

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I take both calcium and green tea. The calcium no longer helps with my IBS-D -- to be honest it only worked a little and for a very short time -- but I take it because we all need it anyway.The green tea, on the other hand is working out great for me. It's really helped control the D and get me normalized. With most things though, you need to give it time and not expect a quick fix. I'm noticing that the green tea is having better and better effects on me the longer I use it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have tried the calcium and it really changed nothing for me. I stopped taking it on the advice of my doctor because I have a history of kidney stones, and taking calcium if you are prone to kidney stones is not wise. Calcium can actually cause them. From what I have read here on the board you have to take quite a bit of calcium for it to help the D. It is possible to overdose on calcium, and like any overdose, it can be fatal. I think it would be wise to consult your doctor before trying any new treatment. Everyone's body is different and reacts to things in it's own unique way.Good luck and stay well.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
It would be vary hard to OD on calcium. No one recommends more than 1800 mg a day to help control the diarrhea and it does work for many. It has some variables to consider if you take other meds to check to see if there is some interferance like with thyroid meds for one. Calcium is not really the cause of kidney stones either it has been know since the mid nineties that calcium may help to prevent them by getting rid of the oxilates which what cause the kidney stones in a lot of cases.You must take it regularly every day once you figure out the dose and stick to it and have the right form of calcium it can be a life changing thing to keep you out of the bathroom all the time.Linda

·
Registered
46 Posts
Linda,I am glad you responded. One of the subjects that was mentioned to me was the extended use of calcium and kidney stones. I was worried if the calcium helped the IBS I could then develop the stones. I bought the calcium last night but haven't started them yet. I have discontinued the multi vitamin. I had a bout with the D after lunch today after eating a casserole that had cabbage in it even though I am taking the prescription Colestid for the IBS. I do know what to do, stop the Colestid and try the Calcium??? What is green tea extract and is it available in pill form?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Holly, in answer to your question, yes, I do take Calcium and Immodium together (though if I'm taking immodium it's usually because I'm out and about so quite likely to forget the Calcium!)I don't worry about taking Calcium at all, it's only a vitamin supplement, and as a woman I think we need all the calcium we can get to avoid osteoporosis later on in life. I don't like taking immodium too often as it can have side-effects, but if I was going on a camping weekend I'd definitely take it just for peace of mind. Have you tried taking it before? You need to take it a few hours in advance but I find the effects in slowing down my system always last a day or two (after taking 2 or 3).Hope this helps,Golightly x

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
gebby,Eating gabbage and lettuce are very hard to digest and plus lots of fiber and can be hard to digest. I would avoid them for now and taking the calcium is a good thing for most women even men to take for your bones. My sister had kidney stones after the birth of her child which she had to have removed with surgery and now in her fifties has osteoprosis because she had been told not to take calcium all that time. Now she needs high doses of calcium and fosamax for the bone loss condition. Now she has been told that was the wrong thing to do avoiding calcium.I don't know anything about the green tea.Linda

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GolightlyGot prescribed some imodium today so will start taking those next wednesday, do you take 2 in the morning and then one after each attack? because thats how i have been avised to take them!Thank you for your help.Holly x

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.