Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What happened to all the talk of calcium supplements helping people? Did those who were using that feel so much better that they left the board? Or did you find it didn't help long term, so you're still here trying other approaches to wellness?The reason I ask is that I suffer from on-and-off receding gums. I'm told that this can be a symptom of not enough calcium (as well as other things like overly aggressive brushing). I'm wondering if other IBSers have other chronic problems/symptoms associated with a lack of calcium?Is it possible that our condition prevents us from using enough of the calcium we take in during a flare-up? Or is a lack of calcium part of the root cause?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Use the HOP TO bar and scroll down to the Over the Counter (OTC) part of the board.Most of the calcium discussions are there. There is too much for everything to be all in the same forum anymore, so there are now many different forums that each focus on a subset of issues.K.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
I am still here spreading the calcium news and how it has helped but like K said you need to go to the OTC section for the info.I try to pass along via email or private message when I see someone who may be helped by the calcium. It has been 4 years of success for me.Linda

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Just wanted to add that I am here for the C-types. I never was able to tolerate calcium being a C-type until I found this product. I swear by it. Often times the C people don't know what calcium will work for them. I spread this around whenever I see someone asking about calcium for C-type IBSers.------------------------------------------------I am a C-type and for me nothing but the liquid calcium has worked for me.This is the type that I use for C:Life Time (Liquid Calcium Magnesium Citrate)1 Tablespoon:600 mg Calcium CitrateMagnesium (from citrate) 300 mgVitamin D 400 IUWater, natural orange vanilla flavoring.No starch, wheat, soy, gluten, milk, egg or artifical coloring. No milk and phosphorus

·
Registered
212 Posts
Unfortunately all of us calcium fans were moved to a separate catagory (OTC). We are still around and as for me, I am still taking calcium faithfully every day and it is the best thing I have EVER found to help my IBD "D". It's the only thing I take. LNAPE helped SO many people with her original post so long ago. Maybe some have dropped off because they got so much better. I know I don't visit the BB as much as I used to. Check it out under OTC.By the way, Hi, LNAPE. It's been a long time!!Cindy

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Cindy,Hi yourself. I am so glad you are still here from time to time and still having success with the calcium. I know many will miss the info if they are new and do not know how to get around on the board. But no matter we are still helping as many as we can run across and I hope you are telling everyone you know that has the diarrhea problem.Take Care,Linda

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:I'm wondering if other IBSers have other chronic problems/symptoms associated with a lack of calcium?Is it possible that our condition prevents us from using enough of the calcium we take in during a flare-up? Or is a lack of calcium part of the root cause?
IBS is not connected in any way with calcium levels in the blood (or in the bone) and there is no physiological reason to think it is. We don't have any proof that calcium supplements help with IBS, only the anecdotal reports posted here. It makes some sense that the calcium supplements are acting as a fiber and in that sense they could treat diarrhea. It's never been clear to me where pain fits into this since pain is always a symptom of IBS by definition. One explanation if pain is not present in those gaining relief from diarrhea is that they never had IBS but some other problem which results in diarrhea such as bile acid malabsorption.

·
Registered
212 Posts
LNAPE, Yes, I continue to tell people about calcium supplements and try to direct newcomers to the OTC thread. I'm NOT a doctor, but MY DOCTOR said I have IBS, and I did have pain associated with it. Calcium HAS helped ME and that is all the PROOF I need. It may not work for everyone (wish it did). Keep up the GREAT work and all of us who have been helped by this simple supplement will be right there rooting you and calcium on. Bless you, Cindy

·
Registered
675 Posts
Dear friends:I started the Calcium about 3 1/2 years ago. Went off all meds but the Calcium. Three times a day. However, last summer I had a bad attack after eating at a deli. I've been horrible ever since, and I'm back on meds. I still take the calcium three times a day, as a back up, and because women need it. It did work by itself for a long time though. I still had to watch out for dairy products. It's definitely worth a try.love and light to all friends here, m-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.