Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it appears from my readings on the BB that many IBS-D sufferers use calcium to help control symptoms..what about those of us with C who take calcium for the prevention of osteoporosis? does this make C worse?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
First there is Calcium and there is Calcium...Calcium Carbonate isn't that well absorbed by the body and tends to cause constipation.Calcium Citrate is considered to be better absorbed by the body and tends to be less likely to cause constipation.If that bothers you, you can also try Calcium Phosphate, Calcium Gluconate (and there may be others).K.------------------I am a scientific researcher primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have no ties to the pharmaceutical industry. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
First there is Calcium and there is Calcium...Calcium Carbonate isn't that well absorbed by the body and tends to cause constipation.Calcium Citrate is considered to be better absorbed by the body and tends to be less likely to cause constipation.If that bothers you, you can also try Calcium Phosphate, Calcium Gluconate (and there may be others).K.------------------I am a scientific researcher primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have no ties to the pharmaceutical industry. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
If you are IBS C you can get your calcium with calcium citrate and magnesium. It is usually a smaller does of calcium and it is in a ratio of 2 to 1 calcium citrate to magnesium. SO you may find a bottle with about 333mg of calcium citrate and 167 mg of magnesium in each tablet. This may help in both areas.Linda

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
If you are IBS C you can get your calcium with calcium citrate and magnesium. It is usually a smaller does of calcium and it is in a ratio of 2 to 1 calcium citrate to magnesium. SO you may find a bottle with about 333mg of calcium citrate and 167 mg of magnesium in each tablet. This may help in both areas.Linda

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.