Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,We seem to have a lot of newbies with us so I thought it might be good to start a new thread for the Calcium Report for them.My story is I started taking Caltrate Plus with VItamin D and Minerals (Calcium Supplement) July 1998 to help prevent bone loss, in later years, and found it to relieve my IBS Diarrhea Attacks. I had to take 3 a day one with each meal but it has kept the symptoms away since then. If I stop it comes back. I suffered almost daily attacks of diarrhea and spent most of my time in the bathroom or looking for one. The calcium has been pretty amazing and I know it has helped a lot of us so maybe we should keep spreading the word to help others. I give it a 10. Ten being the best response and 1 not so good.Take Care,LindaGo to this site to see the Caltrate Brand OF Calcium Supplement If You Like. www.caltrate.com/products/caltrate_600plus.asp [This message has been edited by LNAPE (edited 05-01-2000).]

G

·
Linda,Interesting you posted this today. I have finally come to the conclusion that the calcium was making me worse. (I am not able to use the Caltrate Plus like you do, it made me much worse) I discontinued Calcium Citrate about 6 days ago. I am down to one bathroom trip a day now. Still D for the most part, but am much improved.I know tons of you have been helped with the Caltrate, and I am very happy for you! I hope you continue to have great sucess with it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have to give the Caltrate a 10. I found this board back in October, practically at the end of my rope with my IBS-D. When I read about the Caltrate Plus in the purple box (thank you Linda!) I went out to Wal-Mart and bought it immediately. I was shocked that the improvement began the next day. I started out with 3 a day, and I learned what being constipated felt like! I should be taking 2 a day, but for some reason I have a hard time remembering. I usually get at least one in at breakfast, and that works pretty well. I have also learned a very important lesson and that is stopping living in denial. I carry Immodium with me, and usually take one for good measure if I am going out and feel stressed. Before I would just live in hope of not having an attack and fear of having one, with some pretty disastrous results. My doc has okayed the Caltrate and Immodium both. I wish everyone could at least try it - so sorry it didn't work for you, Fatigued!

·
Registered
59 Posts
It's taking my body awhile to adjust to the Calcium.....(lots of bloating and gas it seems)....but I think it's helping the diarrhea. There were a couple of days I was wondering if it was worth it because my stomach felt sooooo bloated. I'd give it a 5 so far. I'm going to stick with it, because I know you said to expect the bloating, etc....and that I'd probably get adjusted to it. If I can find anything that will help the diarrhea then I'm going to try it. I've heard many people here talk about flaxseed as a use for both D and C. I'm going back to read those threads, too, and see if that may be of help to me. Thanks, Linda, for your input here and the Caltrate instructions. I'd say it's a positive thing for me so far!

G

·
Linda, I give Caltrate a 7 or 8. As you know, it took over 4 months before it even started to work for me. So don't give up quickly on Caltrate, it may take a long time for D folks before it starts to work. I am thrilled with the results so far, and am hoping to post a 10 in the future.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fatigued,I am a bit confused with your post. You said you stopped the calcium citrate and you are not able to use the Caltrate like me. I know the calcium citrate form is not the same and the Caltrate which is calcium carbonate. The calcium carbonate it the most helpful for diarrhea. Can you explain for me if you can take the calcium carbonate and if that is what you were doing.JanieJo,Did you have a problem with indigestion taking 3 a day at first. I am glad it worked so well as it did for me and I put up with the indigesion because it was not as bad as the diarrhea.Chele,Are you using the Caltrate in the purple and white box and how long have you been taking it. And also how many a day. Do you take it with food.Take Care,Linda

G

·
Linda,I am one of the few unfortunates that can't take the Calcium Carbonate. It made my D much more severe, I was "going" up to 17 times a day while taking it (the carbonate). So I switched to the Citrate and for awhile I thought it might be helping. Now I believe it made me worse.Hope this clarifies.

G

·
Been on the Caltrate for 2+ weeks now. I would rate it a 7. I have had a lot of abdominal pain taking 1/2 pill three times a day. I only take it with meals. (does anyone one else take it without meals? I usually skip breakfast and that seems to mess up my morning). My BM's are soft, yet much more formed then before. The urgency isn't quite as severe. Still feel the panic and sweats sometimes after I eat, but seems it is only a lot of gas and a small amount of D. Going to keep with it and maybe add some other things at a later date. ------------------Here's to pain free days!SandiIBS/D For 20+ years

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fatigued,You may want to just try a calcium carbonate supplement with just Vitamin D only you may be one of the ones that is more sensative to the magnesium in the caltrate and thay it why it is not helping.SandiK,what does the ab pain feel like. Gas or indigestion or what. Take the calcium with meals.Linda

·
Registered
880 Posts
I would give it a 9. I started at the beginning of February 2000. I found that one Caltrate a day worked for me, so I have been taking one a day since then (my IBS-D is not as bad as most people on this BB). It took a good two months to kick in, but eventually I went from D three to five times a week to D two or three times a month. And now, I have some level of regularity, going once a day or once every two days, a lot more normal than ever before. By the way, I recently switched to the Caltrate chewables and they work just as well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Linda.....I had to go look at the bottle. I have a bottle that is dark pink and white. It is Caltrate 600 + D. I am taking it right now in the morning....and in the evening. I am not a big breakfast person, but I do try to take it with some sort of food in the morning. The second dose is taken at bedtime. Is it the purple and white bottle that I should be taking.....and what is the difference? It doesn't seem to be causing what I would say is "indigestion".....but causes a great deal of bloating throughout the day....almost makes my clothes feel uncomfortable. It's a bit embarrassing, but at times it can wake me up at night with the gas. I'm lucky I have such an understanding hubby!!

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
linda- your post is timely..as I was thinking of posting directly to you. I have been on the caltrate d plus (I have found Walmart brand the least expensive...plus I did havethe "real" brand name too, and can't tell any difference) for about 3 months now, if I rememeber right. It is working well for me. I still have urges, but find I can hold them in better. Have some probelm with C..and kind of hard little pebbly BMs, also I do feel a little of the kind of bloated feeling at times. All in all, I KNOW it is helping me, but that it took many weeks. I take it3 times a day with my meals. I still use immodium and tranxene. Most days I am pretty much in control. Even had a 10 day vacation in april with no problems at all.There is no cure for "what I got", but calcium is helping me. Also, I am 53, post menop. and that's good too. p.s. my new GI was unimpressed when I told him about taking calcium several weeks ago..he prescribed Bentyl which did not seem to do anything but make me feel drugged.when I return to him in a month or so, I will further update him on the calcium as I had not been on it long when I saw him for the first time.thanks!

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jeanne,Thanks for the post. IF I remember right you had given up some time back but I think I convinces you to give it another shot. I am glad you are better.I don't know why most doctors have the attitude they have when you tell them something that is helping. I guess they are afraid they will be taken out of the picture if you don't need a Rx to help your condition. My doctors have been pretty receptive to taking the calcium but not for the diarrhea for the bone loss. They just don't really under stand unless they would experience the condition themselves.You Take Care,Linda

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
eric,I say your section on the caltrate I hope they are paying you to post the info. I will be going on vacation May 5 so please pick up the slack for me.Thanks,Linda

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
chele,There is a difference in the way the calcium is absorbed and the caltrate has other minerals that help that. The pink bottle only has vitamin d with the calcium carbonate. Are you taking your tablets with food. This is helpful also. Please try the Caltrate in the purple and white box before you give up on it. It seems to be the best combination of ingredients to do the job on that old diarrhea.Take Care,Linda

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Linda, what are you talking about what did you see? We have been trying to get them to sponsor the bb, but haven't had much success with it yet. I wish they would though. Hint HintThey aren't giving me any money. If they give anybody anything it should be you for the valuable tip that has helped a lot of people.Then they can sponsor the bb and my site if they want
.I will keep the posts going for you though while your away and have a great vacation
. ------------------ http://webpotential.com/ericibs/index.htm

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
eric,When I went to your site and clicked on help and tips the at the bottom of your list is Caltrate if I click on that their site comes up. You had nothing to do with that?Linda

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Its just a link Linda, not a sponsor or affliate and I get nothing for it, but I hope it helps others, although you can probably buy it cheaper then off the web.------------------ http://webpotential.com/ericibs/index.htm

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks eric,Keep up the good work.Linda

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.