Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have IBS-A and I was looking for some medicines that could help me during my diarrhea attacks other than Lomotil and Immodium and I've encountered some people on IBS forums who say that calcium carbonate helped them. Then I bought a pill of calcium tablets but in its prescription it says Each whitish, effervescent tablet contains: calcium lactate-gluconate 2 940 mg, calcium carbonate 300 mg and provides 500 mg (12.5 mmol) elemental calcium. But people here seem to use calcium carbonate only I suppose. What is calcium lactate gluconate? Does it matter if i take this instead of calcium carbonate?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If you are taking it just for getting absorbed calcium to your bones/tissues then some of the other calciums (like this one) may be a better choice than calcium carbonate which often as the reputation of being poorly absorbed.However, for the side effect of constipation (which is why most IBS-D types are taking it) you actually want the poorly absorbed calcium carbonate because it tends to constipated more than the other various calcium salts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello again. I've checked some local pharmacies but they don't seem to have calcium carbonate or caltrate. There was this product said contained carbonate from oyster shell with vitamin D but I wasn't sure so I didn't buy it. I'm not sure what to do now.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Where are you located? You might check the Calcium thread on the Diarrhea forum and see if someone has mentioned a brand in whatever country you are in.Caltrate and generic Calcium carbonate (oyster shell is one source of it, and some people like natural rather than made in a lab) tend to be pretty common.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts