Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read several postings regarding the use of Calcium or Fiber to control D. I was just wondering which is better???? I am leary about taking fiber tablets for fear it will cause my D to increase. Any suggestions will be welcomed...Thanks

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I don't think there is a universal which is better.Different things work for different people, and I do not think there is a good way to predict which group any given person falls in.And some people may do better with both rather than one or the other.K.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I take both. The calcium 3 times a day (600 mg tab-I buy mine at Walmart, cheapest I've found)and for 4 months have been regularly taking Konsyl fiber mixed with water...I have played around with that dosage, and find if I take one teaspoon twice a day..morning and night, it's best.THEN my doctor started me on Questran for my cholesterol a little over 2 months ago.So I am on 3 things that supposedly will help bind my stool. It seems to be a good combination for me. The urges are better, and I do not have the bad D days followed by constipation. I go pretty regularly every other day in the morning..no cramps or constipation. The only thing I still battle with is anxiety induced BM..not D anymore. And, the days I have my morning BM, it is more likely to be more than one trip to the bathroom. That incomplete evacuation thing.Maybe more than you wanted to know. Jeanne

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I had some initial concerns when I started taking fibre that the d would come back. It didn't and my stools became obviously more compacted. I don't know how much of a difference fibre would have made if it were my primary treatment, but as a supplement to my supplement it seems to work well. (These days I only add it about 3X a week.)Mark

·
Registered
348 Posts
Jeanne2Why are you taking Calcium and Questran? They both do the same thing. Were you ibs.d? Do you have a gallbladder?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great advice all the way around...I just recently purchased Caltrate 600 plus and it seems to be working so far. I might just have to invest in Fiber supplements as well. Just not sure what kind of supplements are the best or work to control the D.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Judith,The calcium is not to my knowledge a recommendedtherapy for high blood cholesterol.Questran is a presciption medication that works in the intestine on the bile salts to absorb blood fats to keep them out of the blood.I didn't ask to get the Questran...but I have family history of heart disease and my blood lipids kept creeping up after menopause. I tried 3 months of really watching my dietary fat intake, retested my blood and it didn't help enough. Family doctor said we should treat it with medication.So- that is why the questran. I continue to take the calcium because I figure it's also good for my bones. To be honest, I have not tried to just cut out the calcium to see if there is any difference. It's cheap, I've been on it 3 years now...so I just keep taking it,Jeanne

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Both the Questran and the Calcium can be constipating. So both get used by IBSers to control diarrhea (although it is not the original use for either)If both doesn't back you up, I see no reason to discontinue either.If you get overly constipated you might need to do a Cal-Mag supplement rather than straight Calcium to balance out it's constipating effects.K.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Calcium and Questran both absorb the bile in the guts therefore helping the d. and I was just surprised that Jeanne was on both. I am taking Questran to hit the bile and the cholesterol but am not sure yet whether it is working (no blood test until the end of July).KathM Are you saying that it would probably be okay to take calcium as well?Jeanne - How much Questran are you taking and have you had a blood test to see if it is working on your cholesterol?Thankyou ladies.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
At least some sites recommend taking Calcium if you take Questran because it can block the absorption of Calcium.I don't know if we have data that Calcium is in fact working by sequestering bile in a way that blocks you from reabsorbing it (what is needed for cholesterol lowering). It could just make it less able to be an irritant without changing how much you reuptake. To reduce cholesterol you have to block reuptake and mostly that is binding it to larger things like fiber that I've seen specifically stated. It might be you can reabsorb it when it is in a Calcium salt type of situation. (that is a small enough difference it may not effect the receptors that suck it up out of the small intestine)Most of what I found on Calcium and Cholesterol were looking at forms that are more absorbed and thinking it is working in the body rather than working on bile in the intestines.K.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Judith,I'm embarrassed to tell you I don't have my Questran dose here. I get generic in a can, and take one scoop of it, twice a day..I mix it with my fiber in a shaker and drink it down.I'll check at home and let you know what dose my doctor prescribed.No, I have not had a blood test yet. Dr. said to wait about 90 days with this med...I'll be there about mid August and will test then.Jeanne

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Cassandrea,You may just want to stay with the calcium a little while to give it a good chance to work before adding anything else. For me Fiber only added to the cramping and bloating when I tried to take it. The less you take the better everything has some sort of side effect and the side effect of calcium carbonate is constipation and if you can dose it right it can control things expecially since you have had your GB removed.Linda

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Linda,I will stick with Calcium Carbonate and give it time to work. Currently I am taking two tablets daily, one in the morning and one at night. I might need to increase it to three times a day. I will try anything. Since my GB surgery my surgeon prescribed Choltyramine(sp) light powder and all it has done for me is make me bloat and give me gas.Thanks,Cassandrea

·
Registered
441 Posts
Judith-The dose I take of generic Questran is 4 grams twice a day.It is in powder form, a scoop comes with it..the scoop is 8 grams of the med in powder...but it states that only 4 grams of each scoop contain the med...the other 4 I suppose are binding agents, flavoring, etc.I will post back on my cholesterol test in a few weeks.Jeanne

1 - 15 of 15 Posts