Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read here about the positive effects on this board about calcium tablets.. What is a good one.. Does it really work for overall pain and cramping pain??I have had IBSD for a little over a year now. Most of the time it has been pain and on and off D. Very recently I have had cramping BBBBAAAAADDD. Like today I was on the phone with a customer of mine and this horrendous cramping pain hit me. I was already having general pain and then this. I let out a mild ARGHHHHHH. and my customer asked me if I was allright? How embarising!! This evening the cramping has been much more regular fortunatly not as bad as this afternoon.Thanks for the support and infoyour friend in pain and poopingMARKOk so that was a little dramatic

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well calcium does really help me with the D and the urgency problem but for the cramping I reccommend Librax one tab three times a day does the trick. never have that uncomfortable cramping that leaves me in a panic that the D might be on the way

·
Registered
216 Posts
Calcium did not work for me at all. It gave me more D and bloating big time. I guess it works really well for some people and I wasvery disappointed when it didn't work for me. I guess it works for some and not for others bur I will try anything at this point.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Calcium helped me with D and urgency, but didn't do too much for the cramping (which luckily I don't have too much of a problem with) If you are Canadian, you might also look into Dicetel for the cramping.As for which type of calcium to use, make sure it is calcium carbonate (calcium comes in a couple of different forms) Another thing to be aware of is that some tablets have other minerals in them, and some people find that magnesium causes D.[This message has been edited by GI Jane (edited 01-25-2001).]

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
I have to say it has helped the cramping and urgency and bloating and gas and diarrhea for me. The cramping you get with diarrhea has to be helped if you do not get diarrhea then you do not get that cramping.It sometimes take about 3 months of taking it to completley help cramping as your body gets used to it and the intestinal cramping I do feel was helped. It is different for every on and the kind of calcium is calcium carbonate 500 or 600 MG, also should have vitamin D 200 IU. These are the most important ingredients but the one mose effective has some added minerals also. Magnesium, 40 MG this sometimes but rarely cause a problem in this small amount, Zinc 7.5 MG, Copper 1 MG, Manganese 1.8 MG and BOron 250 MCG. The Brand name of Caltrate Plus with vitamin d and minerals in the purple and white box has these ingredients but you can fine other store brands with the same ingredients and cheaper.Take Care,Linda

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.