Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been trying 1.5 tablets a day of Caltrate for about two weeks and I don't seem to be having the complete removal of symptoms (including pain and gas) most everyone talks about.One thing that has improved is that my stools are more formed and larger. But they were fairly well formed before most of the time. Have not had any "pellet" episodes since then either.But during the day I still get gas off and on and the prickly dull ache and pain here and there that I have always gotten.As for D, can't tell yet. I can have it 2 or 3 times a month or go 7 weeks without having it even before taking the Caltrate. So it may be hard to judge whether it is having an affect on the D for me.Is it common for Caltrate to relieve the pain and gas? Does it mean anything that it has not done this for me.

· Registered
236 Posts
Randie,As far as I know, calcium did not do much for pain or gas. In the beginning it actually gave me more gas, but that went away. It just improved my D. I had to really search for a brand of calcium carbonate (600mg/pill) WITHOUT magnesium stereate, as that made my D worse. I had to switch from one storebrand copy of Caltrate to another for that reason.Hope this helps some.Edith

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ewink - maybe I misunderstood about calcium eliminating pain and gas.One thing I did notice, for a day or two after I started I felt really full (bloated) after dinner. More than usual. Guess its bloating. My stomcah does not get larger, just feels full.That went aay and now, if anything, I seem to feel less full or bloated after dinner. Don't know if the calcium is causing this lessening of the full feeling or if it is just me cycling through symptomas as I do with my IBS.

· Registered
287 Posts
Hi. I have taken Caltrate for about 6 months now. It is very good at stopping the D, but it does not stop my pain or gas. I never had a big problem with gas, but I still get pain when I have eaten too many things that I shouldn't have. But, I know now that when I get pain, it doesn't mean that I will have D and that I won't have to spend the day in the bathroom.Kim

· Registered
79 Posts
I may be asking these questions too soon, but anyhow .... Started taking 600 mg twice a day Caltrate (pink container, no magnesium) four days ago. The first day it almost acted like a sleeping pill as I slept all afternoon and all night. By the end of the second day, I was glad I had the sleep as I was up running to the bathroom until 2 a.m.Basically, I am finding no positive change. It seems to make the D worse, so I am still popping Imodium AD. I am having gas and bloating with associated pain that I did not have before.Questions are: Am I expecting too much too soon? Should I be seeing some improvement by now? How long should I hang in there with it?Rhea(who wants her Lotronex back!)

· Registered
268 Posts
For what it's worth, I've been taking the equivalent of Caltrate in large doses for about a year now (for osteoporosis, actually) and it has had no effect either way on my D, pain, or gas. Which is not to contradict those who find it effective. I'm just saying it does not necessarily work for everyone.Love,Lydia

· Registered
5,421 Posts
Calcium does not work for everyone but for a lot of us it does.Finding the right amount that helps you and being consistent is most important.You will have some gas and indigestion at first but this goes away as your body adjusts to the added calcium. Also taking calcium carbonate with vitamin D is the correct one to take for diarrhea control.It takes some a bit longer than others to see relief and I think sticking with it for a while would be good.It takes some time of playing with your dose to see what helps you.If you calcium contains magnesium get a bran that dose not if it is not helping you.Linda

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have starting taking Calcium (Caltrate 600 w/vit. D and minerals) about 5 days ago and it has taken the bloating away for me. I don't have the need to rush to the bathroom anymore and I believe that this is a miracle for me. I have taken other precription drugs to help me, but they had given me side effects-such as a spacey feeling and also very sleepy. I had just found this Web site and am thankful for that. I think being able to talk with others that have the same problems is a great thing. Thanks!

· Registered
79 Posts
I will stick with the calcium as long as I can. Of course, it was on half price sale when I bought it so I have two bottles! Also made sure it had no magnesium in it.The gas/bloating are not as bad today, but no change in the D. I have great hopes that the day will come when I am not helping to keep the company that makes Imodium AD in business! For what it is worth, I have tried the store brands of Imodium, and that is one generic that does not seem to work as well as the actual Imodium. Not at all logical.Rhea

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.