Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who has suffered for years with IBS (diarrhea). I personally had the constipating kind for several years before I discovered my wheat sensitivity. Anyway, back to my friend - I'm posting this in the hope of helping someone in the same situation. We were discussing the supplements we take and she mentioned she takes calcium. The conversation turned to her severe shellfish allergy and I asked if she knew whether her calcium was derived from oyster shells. She checked and they were! It was like a light bulb going off in her head! She realized that she had had no symptoms during her vacation when she had not taken her supplements. She's suffered terribly for years and has gone through every medical test known to man! I'm amazed that it could be something so simple. It never occured to her that the calcium she was taking was made from oyster shells. Obviously, this would apply only to someone with a shellfish allergy, but it certainly is worth it to check out food sensitivities - it certainly helped in my case also. Calcium is available from non-shellfish sources and I know it's often recommended for IBS. I wish everyone on this group succes in combating this horrible syndrome. Penny W

G

·
It's definitely important to get a reliable source for your supplements/vitamins as well as reading the contents on the label. There are many that state 'no shellfish' ,etc.Question: does anyone know of a calcium /vitamin D supplement [no Mg] that does not contain Glutamate?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.