Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer: This post is long, sarcastic, and filled with brooding self absorbtion!
hehehehe But, please read it anyway! It really isn't that bad, I just don't want t look like a misery chick!Hi!Alright, so I went to my "post" colonoscopy/diagnosis appointment. I was armed and informed with plentiful amounts of information that I from my research, this board, and MY OWN BODY. Let me reiterate the conversation:Doc: "IBS is a blah blah blah motility, blah blah blah fiber blah blah blah fiber, yadda yadda yadda we haven't tested for everything (?!) blah blah blah yadda yadda, everythign will be okay... fiber."Emily: Well, the fiber proved to be even more debiliating than the D.Doc: "But, fiber grunt grunt try again"(after defensive conversation...around 5 minutes)Emily: I have also kept a journal..Doc: (interrupting) They never work...Emily: (interrupting, getting red in the face) AND I HAVE noticed that there has been a pattern concerning sorbitol, I believe that I get a strong reaction to it, as due to a diabetic in my family the house is filled with dietetic foods.Doc: Well, (laying on the "i am better than you" attitude) WE commonly use sorbitol as a laxative, and it is successful for consitpation... but most people will nto ahve a reaction...Emily thinks: ~~~ If you commonly use it successfullys, then how could people not be getting a reaction?~~~Emily who is now tired of this run around says: Well, I have heard that many women who were succeful on Lotronex...Doc: THAT has been taken off the market you knowEmily thinks: ~~this man must think I am really really stupid...gets read y to deck him~~~Emily says: Yes I know this, AS I WAS SAYING ( you miserable money grubbing snotty snot...i didn't say that, just had to add it in...hehehe), women who were taking lotronex have had success with Calcium supplements, what do you think of me trying that?Doc (looking out smarted and uninformed): Well, calcium is constipatory, you would just be treating the symptoms, take the fiber blah blah blah fiber blah fiber yadda yadda...plus kideny stones...blah blah blah...The conversation ended with me leaving the office crying frustrated, and wondering how many healthy 19 year old women actually get kidney stones. I also managed to snatch an IBS flier from his office....guess what product sponsors his practice? Metamucil...that explains the fiber business, i guess.So....I guess I just would likes some insight , hope, kind words....thank youf or reading this far. I feel so stuck....and here I thought that the doctor would help me.Emily

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Don't worry Emily, my doctor makes me feel like an idiot too! I'm 24 years old. Have read countless things on this thing and all he wants to do is prescribe Paxil, Xanax, Prozac etc. None of which I will take. My suggestion to you is find a Dr. that will listen to you and not make you feel like a jerk! I'm looking for one myself. Let me know if I can be of any help to you.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Or he thought the 5 minute all IBSers need is fiber lecture during med school 15 years ago was all he needed to know.You might go to the library and get a copy of this article. Any library should be able to get it though interlibrary loan with the nearest med school library. If you got a handy medical school you can go in an copy it yourself.Here is the abstract and the info needed to get the article.Highlight this sentance when you mail or give your doctor a copy of this "It is no longer acceptable practice to diagnose the condition and discharge the patient on a high fibre diet, particularly as the latter can often make the situation worse. " If your still feeling sarcastic.Postgrad medicine digests recent findings for the continuing education of doctors. It's actually a pretty good journal for educating yourself as well.Title The irritable bowel syndrome. Author Francis CY ; Whorwell PJ Address Department of Medicine, University Hospital of South Manchester, UK. Source Postgrad Med J, 73(855):1-7 1997 Jan Abstract Irritable bowel syndrome is a common disorder varying in severity from trivial to incapacitating. The pathophysiology and epidemiology are gradually being unravelled and it is now becoming apparent just how poor the quality of life of some of these patients can be. It is no longer acceptable practice to diagnose the condition and discharge the patient on a high fibre diet, particularly as the latter can often make the situation worse. Although hard to treat, worthwhile responses can be achieved by careful targeting of therapy to the many different facets of the disorder. K.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kmottus,You are wonderful! Thank you so much for this resource, oh, and I think that I will be feeling very sarcastic.Emily

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.