Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I read on this ibs board and was amazed how many people take calcium tablet to slow down their bowel for ibs-d I bought some today and have chewed the chalk, How much is safe to take, these are 400mg each?I also take imodium at night too since compylobacter 15 months ago, reading this notice board it seems many people suffer after food poisoning, no fun....Thanks Samanntha

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Generally safe amounts is a grand total of 2000mgs of Calcium from all sources.So leave a bit for you to get some from your diet (if you do a lot of dairy you may need to take fewer supplements).So the 200-600 mgs with each of 3 meals a day thing people do here is in the safe range for daily use.Some people have Calcium metabolism imbalances or other health issues and must watch their intake.K.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not to sound stupid and not to waste space, but what is the deal with the calcium tablets? I breifly saw them mentioned in other posts. I have IBS - D. Should I try them? What is the advantage? How do they help? How does calcium help IBS-D? Sorry for the questions, but I am curious.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
One of the standard side effects of Calcium supplements is constipation.For some IBS-Ders they are able to use this side effect to help firm up the stool.Much like Magnesium supplements tend to loosen stools and the IBS-Cers sometimes find that eases things for them (Milk of Magnesia is an osmotic laxative after all)I believe much of this got started years ago when LNAPE happened to be told to take Calcium for bone-loss reasons and found that lo and behold the D-post gall bladder removal went away while taking them.Doesn't work for everyone (nothing does) but it is a fairly safe thing to try, and most people do not get the full dose of Calcium they need anyway.K.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Fresh1083,I am still using the calcium to control not cure the diarrhea I had almost daily. I can send you the info just send me and email and I can give you the long message with all the info to get started to see if it can help you. If you do not want to do that you can check the Over the Counter info section of this board to get some info and many success stories.Linda

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Linda. I don't know if it will help me based on the little I have read, but I am willing to give it a chance. It sounds more like Imodium to me, which only helps once I have a problem. Anyway, my e-mail address is casa1472###aol.com. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
The calcium is nothing like the imodium. Taking it daily with your 3 meals will help to control the attacks. Calcium carbonate has a binding effect so your BM's are more formed. It also help with the spasms and cramping.Linda

·
Registered
295 Posts
I started taking calcium for something unrelated to IBS and I can tell you that it really bound me up.I can only take 500mg a day and even then I sometimes get constipated. It doesn't help with the pain though. I still find that I go through cramping pain that is really miserable.

·
Registered
348 Posts
LuckiStar2have you tried adding a soluble fiber supplement to your diet?I have been living with ibs.d for over 30 years, had gallbladder removed in 1983. However, it is only since finding this site and .. last October that I am now getting some stability.The reason I am asking you this is because for me, adding the soluble fiber has actually removed my pain 95%. I would also say that when you try things you must give it plenty of time to see whether or not things do help.I have got the impression from some people on these boards that new supplements, diet ideas etc. are tried for a few days and if a positive response is not felt they drop it and say it was no good. Having suffered for most of my life, I am willing to try anything and certainly try things for 2-3 months before I decide whether they are helping me or not.I would definitely suggest you have a look on the other site if you haven't already.Happy Surfing.Judith

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update on my calcium intake...Well having IBS-D with imodium and taking calcium one cannot GO! Not complaining tho, may try and wean off the imodium at night and take a calcium supplement then alternate it, the effects are pretty quick with calcium chewy 400mg you can get them from ASDA in the UK taste of toffee so quite pleasant to take.Its all trial and error and finding what suits us all - Sam.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the same problem with calcium supplements. I have to take them, though, as I have a condition that is pre-osteoporotic.What I do is this.Each morning I take a tablespoon of a mixture that I discovered in a book that I was reading to help with my Fatty Liver complaint.I was worried about it in the beginning, because one of the things that cause my "dire-rear" part of ibs, is seeds of any sort (eg raspberry jam with seeds, strawberries etc), and this mix has linseed in it, and normally I can't eat almonds.So, on the advice of the doctor, I put the whole lot in a coffee grinder, starting with the linseeds to make sure they are absolutely powdered before I add the other ingredients, sunflower seeds and almonds, and I then grind the whole mix up to a fine powder.I then sprinkle it on my breakfast cereal - I only have it once a day and find one heaped tablespoon is the best measurement for me, I juggled the amounts to get the best and most effective results, being the most regular and well formed poo's I've ever had.You use a 3-2-1 ratio ... 3 parts linseed, 2 parts sunflower seeds and 1 part whole raw almonds, and I make up enough for a week and keep it in the refrigerator.Naturally, if you have a problem with any of those three ingredients, you wouldn't go down that road. But it works for me, and previously I couldn't take almonds or linseed.Janne
quote:I started taking calcium for something unrelated to IBS and I can tell you that it really bound me up.I can only take 500mg a day and even then I sometimes get constipated.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Janne,Taking calcium does for sure bind. It is a matter of taking enough to get formed stools and not get constipated. Playing with the dose amount and timeing can usually work this out. Taking 1/2 tablet of calcium instead of a whole tablet at regular intervals may help and not give you the constipation.I still after 7 years of success need to take 3 full tablets daily to remain diarrhea free. Linda

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The calcium does help a bit, but today have had to take an imodium, I feel a failure for this but the pain when I woke was awful, had to dash to the bathroom, then again a few hours later, theres just no relent for us all, I am glad some of you have found a balance, I was on imodium for about 10 months without any problem just one at night, I may toy with calcium and one imodium every other night, see how it goes, its all swings and roundabouts, oh well, bye all, let me know if you can recommend anything else that firms stools.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HiyaI am very careful what I eat, lettuce I wouldnt touch a mile off! The calcium I am taking is Calcium Carbonate with Vit D only.....Maybe I have to do it gradually, one night imodium the next night calcium and try and wean off than go cold turkey!Thanks, for your response, much appreciated.Sam.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Sam,When you take the calcium about 40% of what you take goes to help out the bones and the rest goes out the body in our waste soaking up excess fluids on the way. SO this means you have to take it at regular intervals over the day to keep it working. !/2 tablet at each meal for the first 3 days and then you adjust the dose up or down.Linda

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi, my son has been doing great since the last 3 weeks of school. He takes a Caltrate Calcium (600mg)tablet with breakfast, and then another one with dinner. Only once in a great while has he had to take an immodium (he used to take alot). If he starts getting C at all, he takes the Caltrate Calcium w/Magnesium. The magnesium will usually make him go normally some time later. This has been absolutley wonderful. He is actually planning on going on a camping trip with friends. He would never have done that before the calcium. Thank you IBS Board!!!!! You have helped us when none of the doctors could.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just started taking the calcium 3 days ago and so far I feel better. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Last Friday and Sunday were horrible days for me, so I'm so hopeful....I am like so many of you, sick and tired of the whole mess. I'm D type, but worse than the abdominal pain and the diarrhea is the lack of predictability. It would never be fun to have diarrhea, but if you could just say, "O.K. on the 5th of April I'm due for diarrhea or if I eat cinnamon bagels I'll have terrible gas and later diarrhea it would be manageable." Anyway, I'm setting my hopes on Calcium. BTW, does anyone else have problems with sourdough pretzels or bread? I've checked it out several times and always seems to cause me problems.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Mom & Son,I am very glad to hear things are going well for your son and he is willing to get out and do the things he shooud have been able to do for a long time. Calcium and been a life saver for me.Linda

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.