Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HiI have been taking zoloft for about 3 months now and am finding it really good. I have just put in my repeat prescription but was wondering how long I can use this drug for. Is there a limit after which it isn't safe?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Everyone will react differently, but I have been on it for almost two years. I also took it for a full year several years ago. I have read that many people have taken them for years with no problems. My sister has been taking them for a number of years longer than I have. The only problem might be if you decide to quit. Since your doctor is writing the prescription (I assume), he or she will (hopefully) write the prescription for a safe dosage and time period.

·
Registered
63 Posts
As far as I know, Zoloft is meant for long-term usage, at least for cases of depression. My father has been on it for over 2 years now for the second time, and it has worked miracles for him. The first time, about 5 years ago, he took it for 1 year and then decided to stop, but this caused him to lapse into another depression. His doctor has now decided to keep him on it indefinitely, as stopping it could cause another even more severe depression. He hasn't experienced any negative side-effects. Are you taking Zoloft for depression or IBS (or both) and has it also helped your IBS? What type of IBS are you? I'm IBS-d and have a host of food sensitivities. I've been considering Zoloft, but don't know whether it would be effective for my case.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Was on it for almost a year and loved it! It helped me both physically and mentally. I ended up getting sick from something else and was taking to many meds so I stopped taking the zoloft. Plus it had been making gain waaaaaay to much weight. I really want to get back on it now but, I need to lose some weight first.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HiThanks for your replies. It is good to know that it seems like I will be able to continue with zoloft for a considerable time. Ezri, I take it for ibsc as it helps improve the motility and it has really improved the right hand sided pain I have. I also take it as I was getting really 'down' from being unwell. I feel so much better physically and mentally and have very little side effects.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm IBS-D and I take Zoloft. My IBS can be quite severe, which was causing anxiety/depression. So, my doctor prescribed Zoloft, and it has worked really well. I have problems sleeping still, but my doctor said that should stop soon. As for it helping my IBS...it hasn't done a thing. The symptoms are just as bad. It hasn't helped with pain or d. I don't know if it's just me, but I do know that, while it has helped a great deal mentally, it has done nothing physically.Hope that helps someone, but you should still, of course, talk with your doctor.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for this info, Beltane. I just did some research on Zoloft, and while it's wonderful for depression, a common side-effect is diarrhea. Patients with IBS-d are sometimes prescribed Remeron, which apparently has an effect similar to Zoloft on the brain, but causes constipation as a side-effect. Some patients also do fairly well on Paxil, but Paxil can also cause diarrhea. This link from the "Diarrhea" forum has some more info: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...t=000077#000001 . There is more detailed information at www.drugs.com . For me Zoloft is definitely out of the question, but Remeron sounds like a good alternative. Hope this is of some help to you too, Beltane.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.