Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this group, and new to IBS, so I'm trying to understand if what I have is really IBS. Firstly, I must say that I have the most amazing doctor - she's a GP but deals only in alternatives and has a spooky ability to "tune into" the body and find out what's going on and what it needs and doesn't need. I have seen her work miracles so have a lot of faith in her. However ....I am 57 and have never suffered (as far as I know) with IBS before. In the past 2 weeks I have been in almost constant crampy pain. It has extended up the right side (ascending) across the waistline (transverse) and down the left side (descending) and occasionally across the pubic region. It's worse while I'm sitting, better when I'm standing, and disappears when I sleep. It's worse within an hour of eating, and relieved by passing wind or having a bowel movement. Bowel movements, however, are difficult and pathetic - one or two marbles moved with great effort, every few days. In the past few days, the pain is sometimes burning. I have a healthy appetite and don't feel unwell other than this constant cramping that feels like menstrual pain, only worse. In fact, for the first few days of the pain I paid no attention to it because I was so used to having that pain every month, even though I haven't had it now for 8 years (since menopause), until it finally sank into my dull brain that I'm not supposed to be having this any more. Duh!My amazing doctor didn't name this condition, but she did tell me that my body did NOT want raw foods, or fruit. I knew fruit was a no-no for me because she picks up on that often with me, so I don't eat any, but I do eat very healthily - vegetables daily and plenty of water. However, as we have just finished an Australian summer, I have spent the past 3 months eating salads almost daily, along with white french bread sticks and a glass of Ribena, both of which also showed up as being a problem for me. She said I was extremely low in magnesium, but only responded to one brand (no, she's not a scammer, she stocks 10 or more brands and everyone responds to different ones, I have had others from her in the past) and Iberogast, which is an oral herbal liquid for IBS, which relieves bloating, abdominal pain, cramping, etc. She also recommended flax as a laxative, and warm water with honey.Well, it's been 3 days since I saw her and the pain is still as bad. I've had no bowel movement and don't even feel an urge, so I'm just wondering if my symptoms "measure up" to what those of you who are experienced in this area know to be IBS. I do recognise that everyone is different - some have C, some D, some both, etc. But I would be interested to hear from anyone who could relate to what I am currently going through. I guess my questions are:1. Do you ever get a burning pain in your colon, or down each side of your tummy?2. Can the cramping last for 2 weeks or more?3. Are your bowel movements ever "a couple of marbles"?Any responses would be greatly appreciated, as I need to understand more about what my body may or may not be going through. Sorry this post is so long. Cheers, Sandy

· Registered
370 Posts
Sounds like you are indeed constipated!I am usually a D person, but when starting new meds I tend to get constipated. I usually combat this with a gentle softener like Phillips gel caps. If this fails you can try Dulcolax. In the future be sure to drink lots and use softners as needed, this should help.

· Registered
33,934 Posts
1.Pretty much any pain description you can imagine has been used by an IBSer. The way the pain feels to is not particularly diagnositic 2. IBS is a chronic condition so the cramping can go on for days. weeks, months, years, decades, etc.3. I usually don't run constipated but that is pretty common.Other comments from your description.Goes away at night. Very typical of IBS.After eating worse. Very typical of IBS.Relieved when you fart or have a BM. Classic IBS symptom often used in diagnostic criteria.IBS often bothers people more at the times the colon is normally more active. After meals it becomes more active, at night it has a lull in activity while you sleep.A lot of IBSers have issues with raw fruits and veggies as the can make people gassy.For the pain, which I would think they would have suggested but maybe the doctor was more focused on stool consistancy...is peppermint. Try peppermint tea or if they have them there Altoids (the regular original peppermint ones have a pretty high dose of peppermint oil in them). I'd try 20-30 minutes before meals since after meals seems to bother you. Peppermint can increase heartburn for some people.Even thought it all tracks with IBS because you are over 50 you may want to check in with a gastroenterologist and get a colonoscopy especially if you are not doing that test regularly. In the US they usually recommend doing them every few years for everyone over 50. There is always a concern when people over 50 have a change in bowel habits, so even though it sounds like IBS it might be worth a shot.Good luckKathleen

· Registered
23,788 Posts
You should see a gastroenterologist and get a colonoscopy if you have not already. That would be very important for you at this time.Did they do bloodwork and stool tests?

· Registered
1,126 Posts
I would think due to your age and symptoms it would be ideal if you would have a colonoscopy.I agree 150% with Eric. If you haven't already had a colonoscopy, get one.At the very least have a sigmoidoscopy performed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.